Cycnoches Jean E. Monnier

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
I've had this plant for seven years now, and it is getting better every year. Two inflorescences for the first time, with 33 and 36 flowers. Nothing wrong with it, in my eyes.
Was considering to have it judged next weekend, but I'm pretty sure it'll drop the first flowers just in time for the event...

Attachments

• CycJEM2017-3.JPG
    CycJEM2017-3.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
It's a pain when orchids do that I find mine do the same.

It's a stunning plant and great flowers is it a scented one?

Congrats on the blooming

Wow~ That is quite the sight!!!
It is very much like cooperi, which I love.
I'm sure it smells great with so many flowers.

Hopefully, some of mine will make so many flowers like that when they hit 7 years mark.

I think watering might be a difficult job for me as I don't hang it the greenhouse, but in a pot in the house. lol
I guess I will worry about it when it happens.

Beautifully grown and flowered! Congrats on that one! I do hope you can make it last until judging, they are so hard to transport in that state, especially after a few days. You might have a pollen firework show!

Well, all is not lost. Take that beauty in for judging anyway and sell some of the pollen directly from the plant for a
fee. There will surely be other Cycnoches growers there with
flowers they'd like to have pollinated.

Beautifully grown and flowered! Congrats on that one! I do hope you can make it last until judging, they are so hard to transport in that state, especially after a few days. You might have a pollen firework show!

I know, right?
They lose pollen easily when moved around, and those that lose pollen sac start to wilt right away.

Thank you all again!

We've had a couple of warm days this week and as a result some flowers have already wilted. No point taking it on a 400 km drive. Adam, in your experience, what is the best way to transport Catasetinae? Is it best to hang them free in the car or to put the whole thing into a box with styrofoam chips to avoid some bouncing?
Happypaphy:
I have had the plant in my office for the first 5 years. It did fine, making bulbs in the range 20-25 cm. Flowered reliably every late summer with 23-29 flowers.
It's been in the GH for two years now.
This year it made a spectacular 40 cm bulb. It has the new and two old bulbs right now.

I've found the best way to transport is to bring a willing (or bribed) participant who doesn't mind getting pelted with pollen! Otherwise I try to set up a system with blankets and pillows. Styrofoam would be a good option. I would hang if it weren't for all the potholes!

Great to see this bunch of flowers - lovely. As to the transport....sad but true but these flowering plants are just not transportable

Latest posts

Back