Cycnoches cooperi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, there are multiple color forms.
This one was bred for dark chocolate color by the breeder. I have a few and all are chocolate although some are darker than others.

Early blooming by the way as mine usually start blooming well into the autumn or even early winter.
One of my Richard Bradon x Richard Brandon is spiking now, which means I will see it in bloom in about two months from now.
Some of the warscewiczii I bought this year have not turned out so good of plants. will see if they will look any better next year.

You’re right, there are darker bred brown ones. But I was referring to the ones most seen in the wild and early breeding. Today there is a range of rare colors of orange and even to bright yellow. Red is still my fave.

You’re right, there are darker bred brown ones. But I was referring to the ones most seen in the wild and early breeding. Today there is a range of rare colors of orange and even to bright yellow. Red is still my fave.
Are they common in the wild? The only in-situ photos I have seen are of Catasetums and even then, mostly without flowers.
By the way, maybe because of the breeding trend toward the dark brown flowers, the chocolate (any shade of brown, reddish brown and all the way to dark chocolate brown) seems to be most commonly seen nowadays.
SVO's old catalogue included yellow cooperi. I have seen this olive greenish yellow one in its glorious presentation at Brooklyn years ago. What a sight!!! That was when I started to buy Cycnoches. The flower display, the flower shape, and the fragrance!!

Depends where you look as populations exist in remote areas. What you call yellow is the olive color I’m referring to (vs bright alba yellow).

The brown ones I see and judge at shows are not dark chocolate but rather overlay of brown on surface of olive. The rarer dark chocolate ones are like it’s namesake color.

Depends where you look as populations exist in remote areas. What you call yellow is the olive color I’m referring to (vs bright alba yellow).

The brown ones I see and judge at shows are not dark chocolate but rather overlay of brown on surface of olive. The rarer dark chocolate ones are like it’s namesake color.
The yellow one (only ever once! how precious!!) I saw was not alba as the stamen was black or nearly so. Only the flowers were bright yellow.
I would love to have such a bright yellow cooperi. No one seems to sell them, though.

In OrchidPro there is a clone called 'Emerald Green' exhibited by Fred Clarke years ago. I wonder if he still has it. I would love to have a piece of that one. I'll attach a photo.

View attachment 36095
This one might be the common olive yellow color version with less brown overlay I think. I will confirm with Fred next month when I'm at the AOS Trustee meeting.

A specimen of this is impressive.

In fact we upgraded an award last week at our monthly AOS Toronto judging (where I was team captain) of a cooperi with this color (from HCC to AM due to increased size of individual flowers as well as increased number of flowers):

832ABA83-3EE9-4335-B115-D2A5EE0FC334.jpegEA32DA20-D996-4A63-AE4E-5AD816FF2F84.jpeg

Last edited:
Leslie
That’s almost identical to the one I saw at Brooklyn Botanic Garden years ago. It was a sight to behold!! 😍

Oh, by the way, let me correct myself. The bright yellow one with dark stamen I was talking about was not cooperi but a primary hybrid Jumbo Cooper (warscewiczii x cooperi).

Latest posts

Back