Cuth season!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the white one I had-- the first photo was of first blooming after I had it, last photo was taken by Sandra/Mrs. Crabass whom I sold and shipped to in full bloom when I got rid of my collection.
PS, I grew many of my cuthbertsonii on mount but basket culture is great also. added another one/photo to prove the basket culture--edited. Both were on cork mount before I moved them to baskets.

Attachments

• P1040485.JPG
    P1040485.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 11910235_896545310431046_135771347_n_003.jpg
    11910235_896545310431046_135771347_n_003.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P1040702.JPG
    P1040702.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Here is my Den. agathodaemonis--bloomed in about two years from flasking, (plants from Dick Warren in UK.) I certainly would not call it same as Den. cuthbertsonii

Attachments

• P1050500-1.jpg
    P1050500-1.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Dan Newman is not the owner of Mountain Orchids. Darren(can't remember his last name at the moment) is the owner of mountain Orchids...both gentlemen are great growers.

Here is the white one I had-- the first photo was of first blooming after I had it, last photo was taken by Sandra/Mrs. Crabass whom I sold and shipped to in full bloom when I got rid of my collection.
PS, I grew many of my cuthbertsonii on mount but basket culture is great also. added another one/photo to prove the basket culture--edited. Both were on cork mount before I moved them to baskets.
Very nice flowering on the white. Is plant still alive?

Some of mine in the tank are still mounted but most in net pots.

Here is my Den. agathodaemonis--bloomed in about two years from flasking, (plants from Dick Warren in UK.) I certainly would not call it same as Den. cuthbertsonii
This species has smaller vegetative parts and no warts on the leaves. Also, the flower comes only in red.

Was the culture same as cuths? Do you still have the plant?

This species has smaller vegetative parts and no warts on the leaves. Also, the flower comes only in red.

Was the culture same as cuths? Do you still have the plant?
@agathodaemonis, besides the red form, there are also pink and bi-colored (pink with white tip) forms that I know of ... perhaps other colors as well. The growth is thin and long, carries many small leaves. I grew mine the same as cuthbertsonii--cool to the cool side of intermediate.

I don't have any of those now--as some members here might know, a few years ago, thinking of downsizing ( our house) and more travels, I sold my entire orchid collection, nearly 1000 plants, mostly miniatures from many genera, including tiny things from the Pleurothallids Alliance. Now I only have a few Paphs and Neofs to decorate my large windows...

Last edited:
@agathodaemonis, besides the red form, there are also pink and bi-colored (pink with white tip) forms that I know of ... perhaps other colors as well. The growth is thin and long, carries many small leaves. I grew mine the same as cuthbertsonii--cool to the cool side of intermediate.

I don't have any of those now--as some members here might know, a few years ago, thinking of downsizing ( our house) and more travels, I sold my entire orchid collection, nearly 1000 plants, mostly miniatures from many genera, including tiny things from the Pleurothallids Alliance. Now I only have a few Paphs and Neofs to decorate my large windows...
Well that is definitely an eye opener for the other color varieties of the agatho. Glad to know it is the same culture. I will try to get some if possible.

Very sad to hear you didn't keep your cuth/agatho collection. Glad to know that someone good is growing them.

....Very sad to hear you didn't keep your cuth/agatho collection. Glad to know that someone good is growing them.

Cuthbertsonii was a small part of my collection... I also grew few other I/C miniature PNG Dendrobiums which was just another addiction. I may get back to the hobby in the future if I decide to have a small cool greenhouse.

When I sold my entire orchid collection, most of my good species and specimen plants went to good growers I knew. For that, I had no regrets.

Last edited:
Actually in my tank they do not bloom from November till Feb (when I remove their flowers in fall to force a rest and to grow new shoots).

I find that they will bloom forever to their detriment if I don’t force this rest period. Without this rest twice a year, the growths start to get smaller and bloom size are 1/4 smaller, in my experience.

I haven’t run across agathodaemonis yet. I know of them as I have a presentation on cuthbersoniis that I give to orchid societies few times a year.
Yes, that was a very informative talk you gave at N Jersey!

Back