Cuth season!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darlene, I'll bet you can grow them now. I don't have a lot of experience with these but am dabbling for about a year and a half now. I grow them on cork in the greenhouse. It can get warm in there in the summer but they seem to be able to take it. However, it's not crazy hot in there for more than a couple of days a year. They seem to be able to take the heat if you can keep them happy most of the time. The lowest my greenhouse gets in the winter is 55 degrees. The true test will be if they flower this year for me.

Aren't they always in season? try Den. agathodaemonis too if you can find them...

Aren't they always in season? try Den. agathodaemonis too if you can find them...
Actually in my tank they do not bloom from November till Feb (when I remove their flowers in fall to force a rest and to grow new shoots).

I find that they will bloom forever to their detriment if I don’t force this rest period. Without this rest twice a year, the growths start to get smaller and bloom size are 1/4 smaller, in my experience.

I haven’t run across agathodaemonis yet. I know of them as I have a presentation on cuthbersoniis that I give to orchid societies few times a year.

I’ve heard your presentation and it’s very informative. I made some slight adjustments to what I’m doing with the cuths on my kitchen windowsill and they’re growing and, believe it or not, blooming! I’m looking forward to your presentation on black orchids in May as I have a stubborn Maxillaria schunkeana.....

I’ve heard your presentation and it’s very informative. I made some slight adjustments to what I’m doing with the cuths on my kitchen windowsill and they’re growing and, believe it or not, blooming! I’m looking forward to your presentation on black orchids in May as I have a stubborn Maxillaria schunkeana.....
Thank you for your kind review. I hope you will enjoy my talk in May!

They are really shy bloomers! Either that or they are in OH lol.
Actually the "white one"/creamy yellow variety is not a shy bloomer at all. It is the same to me. I will post mine when I have time to find my old photos.

@e-spice, it isn't difficult if you have the condition to grow them.

Actually the "white one"/creamy yellow variety is not a shy bloomer at all. It is the same to me. I will post mine when I have time to find my old photos.

@e-spice, it isn't difficult if you have the condition to grow them.
Then they like you better than me hehe.

Most cuths growers in this side of the Atlantic have issues with the white/cream ease of culture. The experts that I interviewed for my talk including Tom Perlite and Marni Turkle has similar issues as me. Also the white cuths never get to the massive 200 flower specimens of the orange/red cuths.

I know what Tom and Marni are capable of with cuthbsersonii...Tom is far better IMO. Do you talk to Dan Newman too? LOL! I don't like to throw names......
A shy bloomer and specimen with tons of flowers are completely different things. On top of that, you are an indoor grower, you will never get your cuthbertsonii with that many flowers no matter where you live, mainly because of your growing condition. If you can get 10 flowers on your red/orange/bicolors and you get 10 flowers on the white one also, then the white one is not a shy bloomer... In another way to say it, if they bloom for you every year under your growing condition, then it is not a shy bloomer.
If you say "some" album clones are less vigorous, that I might agree with you.

Yes shy bloomers might be the wrong expression here.

What I meant was the white/yellow cuths are usually less vigorous than the red oranges. That was confirmed by both Tom and Marni, both seem to have lost more of them than the other colors. That is the reason you don’t see white cuths in the massive sizes of the red oranges anywhere on earth lol including in their natural habitats.

Sorry Dan’s name never came up during my intensive and arduous research on cuths. Unless he’s the owner of Mountain Orchids you might referring to.

Also, in the same size plants, no matter in what growing conditions, the red oranges tend to out flower the whites, vigorous or not.

I have yet to be proven wrong on this point. If so, I can definitely change those viewpoints.

I’m interested to see your cuth pics to see your point.

Last edited:
Back