Cuppy (peloric?) Brachypetalum hybrid

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paph. Payakka Kodkod (concolor x thaianum) purchased in-bud this past summer (July 2020):

0C5B71B7-0F45-42E5-AA67-69765B1E4870.jpeg

Same plant, bloomed again January 2021 while carrying a seedpod:

92976719-0BFA-4343-AFAC-6C4DC8518173.jpeg

B343A1A6-9AA5-4F8D-AC9A-5221F8EC8EA9.jpeg

Thoughts? When it was blooming the second time around the petals were so cuppy that they needed a little nudge to allow the flower to open up. The petals also seemed wider this go around.

It might just be a random hiccup. Bloom it one more time. And again. Then, you could see the trend and confirm if the mutation is stable.
I once bought this dark magenta colored mini Phalaenopsis from a grocery store. Likely a pulcherria hybrid.
All the flowers were in the shape of typical miniature phal. One its second spike, two three flowers out of ten were mutated where the petals resembled the lip. The third time it bloomed, about half the flowers were peloric. I bloomed it once more and every single flower turned out to be peloric.
There are some stable peloric Paphiopedilums out there. Insigne 'Oddity' out of Japan is one such case. It looks as if the flower has three pouches.

It might just be a random hiccup. Bloom it one more time. And again. Then, you could see the trend and confirm if the mutation is stable.
I once bought this dark magenta colored mini Phalaenopsis from a grocery store. Likely a pulcherria hybrid.
All the flowers were in the shape of typical miniature phal. One its second spike, two three flowers out of ten were mutated where the petals resembled the lip. The third time it bloomed, about half the flowers were peloric. I bloomed it once more and every single flower turned out to be peloric.
There are some stable peloric Paphiopedilums out there. Insigne 'Oddity' out of Japan is one such case. It looks as if the flower has three pouches.
Love the story of this renegade phal pelorism evolution lol.

I agree with HP& in regards to the petal pouch effect. Rebloom and see. Highly likely a 'hiccup' and will return to normal.

Latest posts

Back