Culture tips for tranlienianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jorch

I just acquired a few of these over the weekend to replace mine that is happily blooming in heaven. :sob: Before history repeats itself, any cultural tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

No.. I do have diatomite and can try straight S/H and keep it warm and bright if that's the condition it likes

I don't have any experince with this plant since it's not available here in the US of A. But a lot of folks here on the forum have great sucess with S/H. Warm and bright sounds reasonable.

If you have Paph barbigerum, insigne, or Paph spicerianum, and have been successful with either of those species - give your tranlinianum the same conditions.
Myself I grow insigne, spicerianum and barbigerum in a seedling grade fir bark mix, with charcol, coarse perlite and top dress with a little crushed oystershell. Keep them moist, don't dry hard between watering. Intermediate to warm temps March through September, the a bit cooler (55's F or 12 to 15 C) at night for the winter.

If you have never tried S/H, don't start with a species that you have had trouble with. Try S/H first with a plant you already know how to grow well. I use semi-hydro for a quite few plants, it is a good technique, but ..... try it first with something you know how to grow, that way you can get a real side by side comparison, and know if you are getthing the 'knack' of using semi-hydro. My prefered media for S/H is diatomite, Maidenwell brand, which in the usa is easy to get from Joe at www.diatomite-usa.com
Cheers
Leo

If you have never tried S/H, don't start with a species that you have had trouble with. Try S/H first with a plant you already know how to grow well. I use semi-hydro for a quite few plants, it is a good technique, but ..... try it first with something you know how to grow, that way you can get a real side by side comparison, and know if you are getthing the 'knack' of using semi-hydro. My prefered media for S/H is diatomite, Maidenwell brand, which in the usa is easy to get from Joe at www.diatomite-usa.com

I agree and I'm sort of a fan of s/h.;)

Thank you Leo, I'll follow your advice and try my best to make them happy :rollhappy:

Eric, yes.. but it was unintentional :p I am proud to admit I have never murder any besseae or besseae hybrids in the 3 years I've had them. :poke:

Leo is right about culture techniques but since you bought more then one plant, try both, one in S/H and the other in the way you are acustum to. You need to change something or you'll be looking for more plants.

Leo is right about culture techniques but since you bought more then one plant, try both, one in S/H and the other in the way you are acustum to. You need to change something or you'll be looking for more plants.

Yes, I will put them separately and try the different conditions and see which one it likes best. I will move one to S/H later on when it has active growing roots. :) I'll add some limestone pieces or oyster shell this time too.. something I didn't do last time.

If they still perish, I guess I can say this species is not for me.

"If they still perish, I guess I can say this species is not for me."

NO!!!! Don't think that way, please! Rather think of it as the ultimate challange and become our resident expert:):)

Good growing dude.

Rick H

I bought mine last June and it appears to grow quite happily on my West facing windowsill (I'm in north of England) without any special treatment. I water it once a week or so (more of less depending on the weather, etc) and fertilise with MSU type fertiliser. It's in bark with a top dressing of crushed oyster shell. It bloomed this winter (still in flower actually) and developed a whole bunch of new growths since last summer. Seems like a happy little guy.

Good luck with yours!

Thanks Elena! I followed your advise and put oyster shells on top of the medium :)

Latest posts

Back