Culture Questions: hirsutissimum v. esquirolei and druryi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyGrower

Reaction score
HELLO Slipper talk gurus!

I have a couple questions about these two species. I just got them and would like to know if anyone does anything special while growing them. I've read some conflicting things so thought maybe some people who successfully grow these species could help. I grow many paphs and a couple phrags and for the most part give them the same treatment (although phrags sit in water). The only plant i treat slightly different is my fairreanum which seems to be improving with a LACK of fertilizer. Here are my questions:

1) with both of these in the same group as fairreanum, should i likewise avoid fertilizer? I use Dynagro 7-8-6 on everything else, along with a drop of super thrive per gallon

2) my new druryi is surprisingly tiny (recently deflasked?) and is actually a 2 plant compot. I really don't want to damage anything on these itty bitty plants as i doubt they'd survive so once again the question is… to fertilize or not. Also any special requirements they might have (dry period, etc)

3)On one site… now i can't find it. I saw that to induce hirsutissimum to bloom you should not water for a month. For a paph this seems extreme and other places didn't seem to say that. Anyone have any ideas? This plant is multi growth with several being mature but appears to have yet to bloom.

THANKS FOR YOUR WISDOM!

You could try switching to low K fertilizer. Dynagro is pretty high in both P and K.

Welcome to the forum. I got my hirsuit. as a multi-growth plant in bloom. After the blooms faded I cut off the growths and put it in a spot without too much attention. Now it is in spike again. Less is more. I don't think I have a straight druryi because they are notorious for slow growing and blooming. :eek:

My druryi plant is quite large so I can't attest to any requirements when they are small. I know I don't give mine a dry period, and I often tell people they take more light than some realize. They grow in full, hot sun in some cases. It's why their leaves are coriaceous. My experience and what I have read is that they don't have to be a slow grower, when they are given enough light (though they are still slower than some other paphs).

Love that video, especially since it was considered extinct in the wild at times. I watch it regularly as a feel-good moment :)

Mine is in spike now, I will post when it blooms completely.

I grow the top my my leaves about four-six inches away from two T5 blubs. It loves it. No yellowing, and nice strong growth. Normal watering. Used seaweed on it regularly this cycle and saw a huge change - I'm excited to re-pot as it outgrew itself just since May.

I have a fair amount of experience with both species.

They are quite different from each other as far as light and temp preferences, with druryii appreaciating very bright and warm conditions compared to hirsutisium (although var esquirolii will do fine at warmer temps than the nominal variety).

Both are very light feeders (even with reduced K). So even with K lite only feed at the rate of 20-30ppm N every other week.

I feed at 2-5 ppm N with a small spritz every day with a heavier watering every 3-5 days (also with very light feeding).

I gave up on Superthrive years ago, and occaisonally use a weak dose of a kelp extract. I don't bother with calcareous pot ammendments any more with these species either. If you get your feeding rate way (<5ppm N) down the pot pH will stay fine.

Latest posts

Back