Crushed perlite?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C. Rothschild

Reaction score
Seems like most of the perlite stores sell you can't see in the bag. Is Miracle grow safe to mix in with bark for Paphs? I could buy a different brand but it's probably crushed just from being stacked and stuff.

if you squeeze the bag a bit you can often tell how chunky it is; if it doesn't feel lumpy to your fingertips it's likely potting soil perlite that won't really help for orchids. when you squeeze a bag of sponge rock you can usually feel the individual chunks

I replaced perlite with pumice as it does not produce the nasty dust IMHO. Seems to work well.

e877aa476014f75a5b7ecd968ff5f3e6.jpg

Got it from cal west tropical supply in sac. Ca. John the owner has been growing orchids for 20 years great guy

Instead of perlite, I use "Growstone" it is recycled glass. It is supper heated and baked. It has the same porous texture as perlite but more durable. It also absorbs water.

Instead of perlite, I use "Growstone" it is recycled glass. It is supper heated and baked. It has the same porous texture as perlite but more durable. It also absorbs water.
Growstones hold less water than perlite but considerably more air. The only drawback with this product is the need to condition the 'stones' as they
will spike up the ph.

I had the same experience.
A large bag of perlite for just around $4 from HD.
I think it was Miracle grower brand.
Let's just say, I had to wear a mask not to breath in the white dust. lol

but it's so cheap and most of the content was usable.
It's just annoying how dusty it is and how I have to deal with it and all, but yeah, if there's a cleaner one with less dust or crushed one, I will take that over cheap big bag.

Growstones hold less water than perlite but considerably more air. The only drawback with this product is the need to condition the 'stones' as they

will spike up the ph.

There is no permanent "conditioning" of Growstones. It's made from soda-lime glass, so will always be alkaline in pH. You can passivate the surface, but that's quite temporary.

I also use GrowStone mixed with milled sphagnum moss and use 10 mL/gallon of lemon juice with my watering/fertilizing to deal with the pH effect. Also get the other magic benefits of lemon juice that there are several chains about. Without the lemon juice addition, my pour through pH will be about 7.5. With the lemon juice the pour through pH is about 6.2. The GrowStone is giving some silica to the plants and I think an extra little boost of Ca as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

With perlite the dust can cause major permanent lung problems; a way around is to poke a few holes and hold it under water somehow or poke hole top and bottom in bag and input water until it's all damp (or can wash out the fines)

Back