Crossbills

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Clark

Just birds.

Perhaps in Canada these are backyard birds(I don't know), but here, it is a real treat to view. Their bills are specialized to pick out the seeds of pine cones. I have never seen Crossbills before this.

White-winged Crossbill (Loxia leucoptera)
Female first.

Male.

Thank for looking. :)

Great shots, Clark!

The first time I saw Crossbills, I couldn't believe my eyes -- didn't know what they were and had to look them up. Amazing birds!

Dust pumper strikes again! Great pix! Neat birds, too. I never heard of them before. I still like the duck better though. :)

Great pictures!!! Thank you for sharing!!! I have seen such birds here too...! Their bill is great for opening small seeds etc...

Thank you! :)

If anybody wondered why the lower bills are on opposite sides, within the same species, this link explains it best.
Behavior paragraph, near the end.
http://birdweb.org/birdweb/bird_details.aspx?id=458

A different male White-winged. Chest feathers were brilliant.

You may have googled and noticed North America has two species of Crossbills.
The Red Crossbill lacks white stripe. The bill is darker, and the cross is more pronounced.
I was lucky enough to capture this male on the same trip, a few trees away. :D

Loxia curvirostra

Thanks for looking. :)

Nice photo's, never seen this species allthough they should live in my country as well.

What setup did you use to take these pictures?

Super photos Clark. Really sharp which isn't easy with birds.

These are just a type of finch aren't they? Australia has beautiful finches, some of the most stunning in the world. The Gouldian Finch in particular is amazing. We don't have Crossbills though.

David

Great photos Clark. What equipment do you use?? How close were u to the birds?

Latest posts

Back