• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Cribb - The Genus Paphiopedilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
I managed to track down a copy of 'The Genus Cypripedium' since I figured that'd be the hardest one to get... I was a bit wrong on that one. I'm still trying to find a copy of 'The Genus Paphiopedilum.' I'd like to find the newest edition, if possible. Anyone have an extra for sale?

kentuckiense said:
I managed to track down a copy of 'The Genus Cypripedium' since I figured that'd be the hardest one to get... I was a bit wrong on that one. I'm still trying to find a copy of 'The Genus Paphiopedilum.' I'd like to find the newest edition, if possible. Anyone have an extra for sale?

Did you try the AOS book store? If not, you can get it from Kew themselves.

http://www.kewbooks.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=289

If you want, I can pick up a copy at Kew next week for you (if they have it for sale there) and ship to you if you don't want to deal with international shipping.

I would think the newest edition would be easier to find. It's the first edition that's always been very difficult to find.

L

lienluu-
Thanks for that Kew link... I never realized it was that expensive new. The jacket of my 'Genus Cypripedium' book says $39.95, so I just figured that the Paph one would be the same. That's quite a nice offer you made, but I think I'll have to pass it up. Thank you though!

I did check the AOS bookstore, but it's just a bunch of Amazon links. I may end up paying $57.00 for the one on Amazon, but I'll have to decide if I'm willing to buy one with 'yellow highlighting' in it.

Oh well, I'll keep on truckin'. I'll track one down one of these days. After a few nights of intense searching I managed to find the Cyp one, so I'm sure I can do it with the Paph one.

Thanks lienluu. If I recall correctly, that's where I found my copy of Cribb's Cypripedium book. I noticed a few sellers do have the Paph book in stock, but I'm only seeing 1987 editions on that first page. I'll definitely keep checking abebooks, though. I've found many rare books on there.

I wouldn't wait too long, this sort of book is not likely to be reprinted. You will also need Leonid Averynov's companion book on slipper orchids of Vietnam. Contrary to the slander that has flown and been propagated by people like Braem and Hanson, Phil Cribb is an excellent scientist, and puts his time in in the field. In slippers, he is probably exceeded only by Leonid. I have been fortunate enough to share time with both on several occasions, and their concerns about these plants survival in situ are sincere, and the care they put into their works show. Cribb's latest monograph set a new standard, only to be exceeded by Averynov's. The others by comparison are obviously attempts at fame by rearranging names without research or reason and doing field work in smugglers greenhouses. If you get a chance to see either of these men speak do so, and you should see the personal slide collections of both of Cypripedium in situ around the world - they will blow you away!

Morphidae said:
I wouldn't wait too long, this sort of book is not likely to be reprinted. You will also need Leonid Averynov's companion book on slipper orchids of Vietnam. Contrary to the slander that has flown and been propagated by people like Braem and Hanson, Phil Cribb is an excellent scientist, and puts his time in in the field. In slippers, he is probably exceeded only by Leonid. I have been fortunate enough to share time with both on several occasions, and their concerns about these plants survival in situ are sincere, and the care they put into their works show. Cribb's latest monograph set a new standard, only to be exceeded by Averynov's. The others by comparison are obviously attempts at fame by rearranging names without research or reason and doing field work in smugglers greenhouses. If you get a chance to see either of these men speak do so, and you should see the personal slide collections of both of Cypripedium in situ around the world - they will blow you away!

Thanks for the input. I have heard a good deal of criticism of Dr. Cribb and always wondered what it was based on. Apparently not much. As for Averyanov, I actually just picked up his book within the last week.

I also recommend the Slipper orchids of Vietnam too.
It's the most deep detail tropical orchid monograph of this moment.
My first copy become wear.
I will find a new one!;)

I actually do have the Slipper Orchids of Vietnam. It's fantastic... I read it quite a bit.

I'm still searching for the second edition of that darn Paph monograph.

Would anyone recomend the two part Braem monograph?

kentuckiense said:
I actually do have the Slipper Orchids of Vietnam. It's fantastic... I read it quite a bit.

I'm still searching for the second edition of that darn Paph monograph.

Would anyone recomend the two part Braem monograph?

In my view, the Genus Paphiopedilum of Cribb (1998) and Paphiopedilunm of Braem (2003) have thier own advantages.

Cribb:monograph of consolidation phase of systematics, more lumper, has formal pattern of each species, not deep detail, but it's enough to every one who love Paph, with beautiful illustration, habitat and in situ pictures, distribution map.

Braem:monograph of consolidation phase of systematics, more splitter, newer with more new species, more detail with good references and original description with fantastic many taxonomic assumption, interest etymology of specific epitets.

I think if you are enthusiasm for Paphiopedilum. You should have both.

Oh, I certainly intend on purchasing both! The problem is that whenever I get the cash for these books I end up buying plants instead!

Heather said:
childsad8pr.gif

kentuckiense said:
Oh, I certainly intend on purchasing both! The problem is that whenever I get the cash for these books I end up buying plants instead!

If you cannot control your cash.
I think you can buy the books by Credit Card.

Latest posts

Back