Could somebody please try and id this Paph please

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David1970

Reaction score
A friend bought out of flower as paphiopedilum lawrenceanump1 but now its flowered its not.
Many thanks DavidFB_IMG_1670548834906.jpg

Thanks everybody it's what I thought as well,I will now tell her the bad news.

I do not see any P. sukhakulii at all, I am sorry. It is my opinion that with so many sukhakulii hybrids, that flowers with its genes pop those petals right up. Often they are almost held horizontally. Plus good sukhakulii’s used in recent breeding really pump up the width of the petals. Those look too slender for me. Very sweet petals but a bit too narrow.
I really like the flower, I do. I would love to have it. Just what I think it has the most of is Paphiopedilum lawrenceanum in the background. Those petals have the lawrenceanum presentation. And they have the characteristic of a lawrenceanum variety. I promise to try and research this later today! What I am referring to is the dorsal sepal and it’s coloring. Look at the zones of stripes. You have two outer edge zones of burgundy and an inner zone of green, I have seen that patterning before. I find it to be very attractive.
I know too that since I moved to Michigan, I have seen that same patterning come to the table on a few Paphiopedilum hybrids. I am hoping that some where I made note of that. But it will be a good project for me to look into! I just love these little mysteries!!
Great flower!!!

Sukhakulii influence is very strong in this flower. It is most likely Hsinying Alien (Rasin Pie x Supersuk), a hybrid that was sold in large quantities everywhere for years.
Both Rasin Pie and Supersuk have sukhakulii as one parent, so Hsinying Alien is half sukhakulii. I have seen a farm full of this hybrid.
The flowers are mostly coloratum/flame like the one in the above photo and quite a few are vinicolor. The shape is all over the place but the one in the above photo is about the most common form. Some have their petals more or less horizontally held and the width of the petals vary considerably from flower to flower.
When you make hybrids with complex pedigree, you get a lot of variations among the progenies naturally.
Also, this is why NOID hybrids can never be correctly identified. Too many similar hybrids and too high a variation among its own grex.

Latest posts

Back