Corybas in a lemonade dispenser

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently at the SEPOS show, I saw that Ooi Leng Sun had two species of corybas in little tubes for sale. Quickly decided that some other purchases could wait and bought three tubes of each! (2 dormant but rooting tubers in each) The two species advertised were calopeplos and gemmingibbus- thus reinforcing my notion that the tinier the orchid, the longer and more unpronounceable the Latin name! :rollhappy:
I didn't have the container I wanted or any live moss, so soaked a washcloth with filtered water and squeezed out all until barely damp. After a few weeks I stopped at Michaels art supply during a driving rainstorm complete with double rainbows that at times were floating apparently directly in front of my car (rain in front and sun directly behind)

Result from general potting directions from Benjamin Ooi

cd11118518530f4606c8b4cd2aeefd16.jpg

Today I think I see some sprouts, covered top with plastic and put near east window

e3afe590168e9d75e3ea1cee7977b1fd.jpg

General inside top view

c23eb9e67ffed283f168b90253abe36e.jpg

sprout 1

85ac333f28b2d70e520ba7cbff7155f3.jpg

sprout 2

The container is a two gallon drink dispenser. I placed some cut green floral foam, then surrounded with small diatomite. Then some soil/bark mix a sheet of some plastic mesh shelf liner and then some thick live moss. Watered with clean stream water to top of moss, then opened drain until water was at top of diatomite and capped.
Instructions were to use layer of prime Agra type, peat or bark, then thick moss, place the tuber at least an inch into moss, keep water off of tuber, provide 100% humidity, and possibly put in 50's dry and dark for winter (better for rest, but can just keep warm and damp and keep it cycling)

I'd heard about putting them on soil or bark in plastic cup, and set this on top of damp stones, but this seems closer to a natural growing environment

Elmer Nj

Last edited:
Great. I haven't covered mine yet but they are plenty moist. I just checked and I see a new growth coming up! :)

Last edited:
http://www.tinygreengardens.com/buying-moss/

These are nearer NYC but any garden center in the 'country' may grow moss to sell to people redoing their wood yards from grass etc to completely moss covered. Places selling to landscape contractors may be more likely to do this, and likely if you stop in and ask to buy a few handfuls probably wouldn't care

Elmer Nj

Last edited:
These are nearer NYC but any garden center in the 'country' may grow moss to sell to people redoing their wood yards from grass etc to completely moss covered. Places selling to landscape contractors may be more likely to do this, and likely if you stop in and ask to buy a few handfuls probably wouldn't care

Elmer Nj
Yes, all the garden centers here in NYC have moss! :poke:

One of the inconspicuous and unpronounceable terrestrials we have in New York and nearby is triphora trianthophora var trianthophora which fits your description! It's maybe four inches tall, only flowers for a day and only flowers when certain weather conditions are present
Three birds orchis

Here’s an update on my orchids in a bottle :)
They are alive but I dont think Ive had flowering. Ill have to check a dried thing to see if it might have been a flower, I was too busy to check for a few months to see if any flowers came up

134f785f9a7793113a4309d81ea73440.jpg

82dd9746344181a7d907048261f2c5ee.jpg

The heart shaped leaves with the veining are the corybas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking for an update on your jar. I think it looks rather wonderful
the way it is...of course a bloom or two might make it look a bit better. It looks
like a mini-jungle

Im tickled that they are still alive :) but of course a flower would be good. Ben had told me the first ones he had available that have leaves he brings to the pacific orchid expo. I just emailed him but hadnt heard back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back