Corybas geminigibbus

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Flowering now is Corybas geminigibbus. I’ve grown C. pictus in the past, and managed to keep them going for some time before they died. Hopefully I’ll do better with them this go around. The pencil shows just how tiny these guys are.

CoryGeminSD.jpg

CoryGeminPen.jpg

That ranks way up the list of the most unusual and interesting orchids I've ever seen. Really amazing. Wonderful job growing it - looks like it would be tough to do.

Very nice! How much light do you give? I've been giving extra low light (about 1/2 of typical Phalaenopsis level), and I'm wondering if they grow better with more light.

Crazy orchids!
How do you grow these?

Well, I should say that I've only had these since February. I got them as a gift from Brett Moloney (thanks!) via Oii Leng Sun Orchids. I grew the very similar species C. pictus for around 4 years before losing them.

They cannot tolerate dry air or soil. I've grown them in a mix of leaf humus (no fertilizer in it!), kanuma and a little sand. They are grown essentially in terrarium conditions. The best thing is to have no seasonal variation in temperature, light or moisture. Just keep them moist, warm and in bright shade 24/7 year round. They go dormant when they want, and reappear when they want (hopefully!). They will grow best using rainwater, RO or distilled. I don't fertilize at all, not even organic, though you probably can. I'm too afraid to burn them. BTW, the moss in the pic is just for show, I grow them in bare soil to prevent them from being overwhelmed.

Very nice! How much light do you give? I've been giving extra low light (about 1/2 of typical Phalaenopsis level), and I'm wondering if they grow better with more light.

Maybe give them a bit more light? Phalaneopsis level should be fine.

Thanks Tom!
So their culture seems to be a challenge...

Well, I should say that I've only had these since February. I got them as a gift from Brett Moloney (thanks!) via Oii Leng Sun Orchids. I grew the very similar species C. pictus for around 4 years before losing them.

They cannot tolerate dry air or soil. I've grown them in a mix of leaf humus (no fertilizer in it!), kanuma and a little sand. They are grown essentially in terrarium conditions. The best thing is to have no seasonal variation in temperature, light or moisture. Just keep them moist, warm and in bright shade 24/7 year round. They go dormant when they want, and reappear when they want (hopefully!). They will grow best using rainwater, RO or distilled. I don't fertilize at all, not even organic, though you probably can. I'm too afraid to burn them. BTW, the moss in the pic is just for show, I grow them in bare soil to prevent them from being overwhelmed.

Maybe give them a bit more light? Phalaneopsis level should be fine.

Yes, they need specific conditions. Oh, and they are sooooo tiny that they fall prey to anything in about two seconds. I ran out of the house for work yesterday and set the pot on a ledge just for the day and when I got home the smaller plant had been eaten by something. So leaving them in an open environment is not a good idea either.

I have always loved this genus but I never tried any of them. Great job!

Last edited:
nice flower. my original tubers came back but no flowers. I was told they'd be more thrifty if over winter i put them in a cool dark closet. i didn't pull them out fast enough and the leaf stems got very long before i put them under a light on a windowsill (ne facing no sun)

Latest posts

Back