Coryanthes sp. Columbia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

JUST popped open today!

Top of flower view:
cory1.jpg

You can see the liquid being secreted:
cory4.jpg

Inside the bucket, full of secreted liquid:
cory3.jpg

Entire spike:
cory2.jpg

Thats an incredible Coryanthes, Lien! I don't think that I've ever seen one like it. Great color, and very nice photos :) How do you grow these? I have a few Coryanthes, and they never look good at all... the leaves always seem to develop dark spots, or they dry from the tips.

-Matthew

gore42 said:
Thats an incredible Coryanthes, Lien! I don't think that I've ever seen one like it. Great color, and very nice photos :) How do you grow these? I have a few Coryanthes, and they never look good at all... the leaves always seem to develop dark spots, or they dry from the tips.

-Matthew

Lots of shade and lots of water. My plants do get some black spots from time to time and some leaf tip burn but doesn't really seem to affect it at all. Here are some photos of the plant and roots

cory5.jpg

cory6.jpg

Thanks! I assume that my intermittent low humidity is a problem for these guys. I grew mine in a standard bark mix and nearly killed them, then put them in S/H and they have come back to life, but it's still an ugly life. They're just little guys, and may be getting too much light; I'll experiment with that next. Either way, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one giving them dark spots now and then... the dark areas in your photos look very similar to mine.

Your plants have such amazing roots I can hardly tell what kind of pot they're in! Looks like plastic mesh? Do you give them much in the way of fertilizer?

- Matthew

gore42 said:
Thanks! I assume that my intermittent low humidity is a problem for these guys. I grew mine in a standard bark mix and nearly killed them, then put them in S/H and they have come back to life, but it's still an ugly life. They're just little guys, and may be getting too much light; I'll experiment with that next. Either way, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one giving them dark spots now and then... the dark areas in your photos look very similar to mine.

Your plants have such amazing roots I can hardly tell what kind of pot they're in! Looks like plastic mesh? Do you give them much in the way of fertilizer?

- Matthew

Yes, plastic mess pots. They normally are hung in the lowest part of my GH, but this one, since it is in bloom, i moved it up to the top because the spike was hitting the ground. They get watered daily this time of the year.

The roots actually used to look A LOT better but for a brief period earlier this year, i brought it outside as I was moving things and forgot about it and left it there for two days in 40 degree weather!

This is a very nice Coryanthes... I have a feeling it is just a different color form of the Columbian species, Coryanthes mastersiana... a nicer form actually, not speckled. Those elongated bulbs are great... nice plant!

-Pat

SlipperFan said:
Are the colors really that saturated? If so, quite spectacular in coloration.

Yup, it's actually that colour in real life! This is the first time i've seen the bloom, the past year when it bloomed, I was out of town and when I got home, all I saw were dried flowers. There are several other Coryanthes in spike as well, yay!

lienluu said:
Yup, it's actually that colour in real life! This is the first time i've seen the bloom, the past year when it bloomed, I was out of town and when I got home, all I saw were dried flowers. There are several other Coryanthes in spike as well, yay!
That is indeed amazing! All I can say is "WOW!"

Latest posts

Back