Convince me to get a paph/phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisFL

General Disarray
Reaction score
I'm a species snob. I grow mainly weird/cool stuff from the indo-pacific region and collect C. walkeriana, nobilior and violacea. See if you can convince me.

HMMMM .... well, where does one begin, as weird/cool is in the eye of the beholder. The first one that comes to mind is Phrag lindenii, a pouchless slipper, definitely weird. Any long petal Paph or Phrag is pretty cool in my book, take your pick from sanderianum, philippinense, caudatum or wallisii!

Here's Paph. tigrinum growing on a tree in Western China.

tigrinum-habitat3.jpg

Paph. parishii is also sometimes an epiphyte.

- Matt Gore

If you like weird, there are quite a few paph, frankenorchids the members here have posted. We'd be happy to sell you them for an good price.:noangel:

lol, thanks Candace.

That is very cool Matt... I think when I get my tank setup in March I may have to leave a shelf in it for a paph/phrag or two...

SF, I have about 30 different bulbo species, which is a lot of my small collection, they are my favorite genus.

If you are going to experiment, I hope you'll practice on hybrids instead of species.

...or I could make sure I understand the culture and have the proper conditions to grow a species before obtaining it, like I have with every other orchid species I've acquired so far.

Either you love em, or hate em. Better just keep focused on that Cattleya collection. :poke:

I do not quite agree because: => you can learn to love them!!

I pretend this after about 20 years with catts etc. I think I started my reconversion when I saw my first besseae; I paid quite some money to buy it, and was very sad when it died away after one year, because I didn't have any correct idea of how to grow it. Today, I grow with not yet to much success, but with love, about 15 Phrags and 30 Paphs , beside my catts etc. And their number extending from year to year!!

Jean

Lance, (the other one)

Hybrid orchids are expendable; they can be reproduced at any time and in any quantity. Wish it were true of species.

LB

...or I could make sure I understand the culture and have the proper conditions to grow a species before obtaining it, like I have with every other orchid species I've acquired so far.

I think species are easier - you don't have combo culture going on. I had more issues with hybrids than species, hands down!

Personally, I think both Paphs and Phrags are easy to grow. Certainly easier than Phals. Light, water, humidity, air flow. Get it right (and it isn't hard) and they will bloom and grow.

I was told by a certain individual when I started growing that I didn't have any of it "right" and yet I've bloomed quite a few, including a roth, in less than ideal situations (due to moving 4 times last year.) The person who told me I couldn't do it was an ass and should really not be allowed to encourage anyone to grow anything because he is a naysayer - everything I did was "wrong" in his opinion, and none of his advice was correct. It proved detrimental to my growing ability, confidence and choice of plants for several years.

Bottom line, just buy something you like and grow it. Learn from there.

Thanks for the positive posts guys. I'm thinking about which.

Ideally, compact size, likes warm to intermediate "cloud forest" conditions...

Latest posts

Back