compot question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegayde

Reaction score
I got my compots in the mail today
Pinocchio 'Durante' x lowii 'Monsoon Redwing'
Deperle (primulinum album 'Sunlight' x delenatii 'Jupiter' )

overall they look great though they appear to be a little flat like they got shook up some in tranist and the cotton<?> that was taped over the top of them sort of squished them a little.....normally I repot most stuff as soon as I get.....I know you are not always suppose to do this but I usually do anyway....now my question is this the grower said to just sift the medium back over the seedlings in the compot and they would perk up after a few days he also said to try not to disturb the agar plug.....now normally if I get something in flask I rinse all the agar off because before I started growing everything in Aussie Gold leaving the agar on always caused mold problems for me.....I was just looking at these compots and there is some fir bark type medium in the pot and some down between the seedlings but the whole seedling/agar plug is just sort of sitting on top of the fir bark mix.....now if I re-compot these should I leave the plants in the agar? I had planned on putting some of each of the compots into s/h to try them in that and the rest in Aussie Gold but now I am wondering about trying to break them out of the agar at this point and seperating them into different sizes ect....LOL ohh yeah forgive me moderators if I have put this in the wrong section....seems I always do

Todd

First question is, how long have they been in compots before you got them??
If they have been there for some months, I dont think it will be a problem to separate them, check the roots for progress from agar roots to compost roots. It may be safer for a month or two to leave them alone till they settle down, it all depends on your growing conditions. Either way, to help the recover, water them with 'sugar water', ie 5 - 6 teaspoons of white suger disolved in one litre of water.

the grower said he thinks they have been out of flask for about 6 months now.......I know I flipped the agar plug over and there are no roots coming out of the agar into the medium below it on the one compot and the other just has one seedling that has a root going down into the medium

I doubt they have been out of flask for 6 months then. I would was off the agar and re-compot then right away without disturbing the plants, unless you have something to give them bottom heat. I would be giving them the sugar water or a quality root hormone solution to get them to kick off. The plants may be hardened off from the flask but now need that extra boost.

well I went ahead and did it....LOL.....the one compot most of the agar was gone but the seedlings roots were all stuck together so I rinsed them and replanted them....the other compot still had pieces of agar on the roots that really did not want to rinse off so I left the chunks on them and repotted those.....guess we will see how it goes good thing was both compots were suppose to have 18 seedlings in them and the one had 27 and the other had 21 although LOL there was a really small one that disappeared not sure where it went I looked all over the floor and around the sink but somehow it made if off the paper towel I was putting them on and when I got into the room with the seedlings from that compot it was gone....also I am trying a few of these in the PrimeAgra that I got off of here and the rest are in the Aussie Gold......crossing my fingers.....and my legs.....and my toes....and my eyes that most will survive the shipping stress and then the added stress of being re-compotted<is that a word?>

Thanks for the advice guys
Todd

Back