Complex paphi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tintin

Reaction score
Hi all! In your experience, does complex paphi (bulldog type) prefer moisture consistency, or a good dry out between watering? Thank you.

Hmm good question. I am no expert but have successfully bloomed complex this past fall with no deviation from my weekly water/kelpak/k-lite regiment. I want to say I never let them dry out completely.

In my opinion, no orchid “likes” or needs to dry out between waterings. As @Sky7Bear has stressed many times, it’s all about the air/water ratio - some plants are more tolerant of less airiness, while others are not, and (also my opinion) that should be controlled with the choice of potting media and container rather than with a watering schedule.

Besides, being able to water at will, with the substrate providing “the right” conditions at all times, makes plant care a LOT easier.

I avoid letting my plants dry out - ever - as water is the true driving force for growth. For a plant to add one pound of mass, it must absorb (for both chemical “raw materials” use and to compensate for the huge amount lost to transpiration) 5 tons of water and only 5 grams of fertilizer.

I water my complex every two days. Substratum has a very good drainage. Leaves have good consistency. But well, I live in the tropic, where air is blowing constantly, and my Paphs are out there.

Back