Comparing Two Amami Neo & Links to Neo Exhibition

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I have two plants of wild type Neofinetia in bloom together and notice some differences.

The first one is a first time blooming plant with four growths.
It has five flowers on a single spike. The petal tips and spur had pink tinge before the flowers opened, but once they opened, they disappeared other than slight pink hue remaining on the spur.

The scent is close to gardenia, sweet but not too heady. Clean and pleasant, I would say.

The plant size (leaf length) nearly doubled last fall.
I thought I had a miniature, but now it is about the typical size.

m0WGW9Ql.jpg

The second plant is an old timer with over 20 growths. (this after having a good sized chunk taken off of it one year ago.)
Yet, it only has two spikes, one of which bearing six flowers is being shown here. There were a couple more but I killed them by lazy watering in the past months.
Still, I would think it can do much better. It used to make five or six spikes at a time when much younger. I must be doing something wrong.
One thing I'm missing for sure is the proper winter.

By the way, flowers on this plant is showing more and more pink every year.
It used to be pure white, but this year has more pink tone than ever.

Flowers are strongly of coconut with sweet undertone.
The flowers are just tad bit smaller and floral segments are narrower than the other plant.

Culture: I had them by the bright window until about early spring this year, then I placed them both under T8 set up.
Both are in bark based mix in plastic pot. The old timer is in need of repotting. It's been too old. lol

YAD3jjnl.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely plants HP. How do you manage to get both high
light and cool temps. in the winter?

I don't get low enough temperature.
I leave them by the window, which I leave cracked open.
Still, it is warm. Especially sunny winterday, it get be very warm even with the window cracked open.
That might be why my old timer is cranky in the flowering department.
During their winter, both day and night should be cold, with day time temperature being only slighter higher than the night temperature.

Other people in Korea who give them very cool winter in their protected balcony, which by the way is a common (almost universal) feature for Korean apartment, heavy flowering is not an issue at all.

What the main focus for these folks is the shaping large specimen into beautiful display on a piece of stone or wood, or just typical pots for exhibits and show off.

Not having a proper growing condition really sucks! :(
but I get what I get.

I like the younger one better. Send it to me. :p

Achieving a cool sunny winter is every cold-climate, apartment-dwelling, Neo grower's nightmare. I do the same as Happy - I put them on a cold, sunny windowsill with the window ajar.

I'll try later but majority of those photos ( at least of decent quality) are protects and I can't right click on them.

With that said, properly cultivated specimen on stone/wood mound is highly subjective I think.
Some not so big specimen on very stone was also highly praised.
I think whatever pleases the eyes of the judging committee as they don't take any objectives like measurement into considerations but rather how balanced and natural the overal look is, so I say it is very much debatable and subjective.

Also, good piece of stone or wood can cost fortune. lol

I'll try later but majority of those photos ( at least of decent quality) are protects and I can't right click on them.

With that said, properly cultivated specimen on stone/wood mound is highly subjective I think.
Some not so big specimen on very stone was also highly praised.
I think whatever pleases the eyes of the judging committee as they don't take any objectives like measurement into considerations but rather how balanced and natural the overal look is, so I say it is very much debatable and subjective.

Also, good piece of stone or wood can cost fortune. lol

you could post a weblink that takes us to the photo

I'd say if you're getting bloomings like that, culture is pretty good! I love the plants and the back drop.

The first blooming plant, I think it is good as only one growth is mature size and the rest are smaller.

The older plant should ideally be doing much better.
I welcome any flowers, though! :)

you could post a weblink that takes us to the photo

I'm being lazy here and only post a couple of somewhat related stuff.

The first link show a few examples of neo and Nagoran mounted a large rock.
These are all from a greenhouse where they specialize these items for sale and show.
You can do the same with piece of wood of your choice.

http://blog.daum.net/edh9001/838

The second link is one of the many regional & annual neo shows in Korea.
This area has particularly high number of neo nurseries.

Many are potted neo, but I thought they are great to look at and some mounted items are included as well.
The thing is the names are not shown for most of them. I could only guess on just a few of them.

Enjoy~

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=sato721&logNo=220169233130&parentCategoryNo=&categoryNo=&viewDate=&isShowPopularPosts=false&from=postView

I'm being lazy here and only post a couple of somewhat related stuff.

The first link show a few examples of neo and Nagoran mounted a large rock.
These are all from a greenhouse where they specialize these items for sale and show.
You can do the same with piece of wood of your choice.

http://blog.daum.net/edh9001/838

The second link is one of the many regional & annual neo shows in Korea.
This area has particularly high number of neo nurseries.

Many are potted neo, but I thought they are great to look at and some mounted items are included as well.
The thing is the names are not shown for most of them. I could only guess on just a few of them.

Enjoy~

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=sato721&logNo=220169233130&parentCategoryNo=&categoryNo=&viewDate=&isShowPopularPosts=false&from=postView

Thanks for posting.
I have some great stones for a future amano planted shrimp tank; I could try a neo on the rock, but ultimately I think I'm too lazy to water constantly for the rock (though maybe if the rock was above the water near the filter and constantly got splashed...)

I like the neo on wood too. That one pic looks like a horse head, with the mane being the extensive neo growth.

I also love that variegated Spiranthes sinensis

You're welcome!

Yeah, as you can see, they do allow some neo hybrids and other orchids and even non-orchid plants, although majority are neos.

Then, things like Cymbidium goeringii have their own exhibit.

Professional growers with automated watering systems are fine, but home growers who own rock/wood mount, they have water at least twice everyday, morning and evening.
They can't go anywhere unless they have plant sitter.
Years of work will be ruined. lol

I wonder if a specific kind of stone is preferred. The mounted specimens are just splendid. I have mounted
plants on lava rock sitting in water and the plants did
quite well.

Latest posts

Back