Compact Stonei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNJ

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this compact stonei that has only about 16-18 in leaf spread with small flowers, which is great for the space I have. Is this a compact form of the species or will the plant / flowers get bigger over time? Wanted to get the expert opinions.

Attachments

• 84226CB4-A49E-44EA-9D1A-B93368CE4CFA.jpeg
    84226CB4-A49E-44EA-9D1A-B93368CE4CFA.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 0F8E2CCE-2607-4EF7-AEDF-EAC317988237.jpeg
    0F8E2CCE-2607-4EF7-AEDF-EAC317988237.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 56
Wow, I have never seen such a 'tiny' and compact Paph. stonei.....but I like it very much. 👌 Flower size seems to be smaller as usual, too.

Last edited:
Though I have not heard about a compact or small version of stonei, the rules of genetics allow for smaller than normal plants to exist.

Can you take a whole picture of the plant (and length of longest leaf and width flatten) as well as measure the flower dorsal sepal width/length, petal length and spike/inflorescence height from leaves to last flower stalk (not including flower)? I can compare it with the dimensions of the type flower. The comparative study can tell us if it is a normal flower on compact plant.

Great if the specs can be compared with norms: here they are:
Longest Leaf - 25 cm long, 4 cm wide
DS - 4 cm long, 3 cm wide
Petal - 10 cms long
Spike Height - 27 cms

Photo of whole plant:

Though I have not heard about a compact or small version of stonei, the rules of genetics allow for smaller than normal plants to exist.

Can you take a whole picture of the plant (and length of longest leaf and width flatten) as well as measure the flower dorsal sepal width/length, petal length and spike/inflorescence height from leaves to last flower stalk (not including flower)? I can compare it with the dimensions of the type flower. The comparative study can tell us if it is a normal flower on compact plant.

Attachments

• A95353D2-D54B-4599-903D-303D27AB1551.jpeg
    A95353D2-D54B-4599-903D-303D27AB1551.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 34
That is beautiful. I think the plant will get larger. What are your conditions?
I think you’re right about the plant probably going to get bigger, the flowers seem small compared to the leaves too - so those may grow too. I got this in spike - but have been growing on East window with flourescent light overhead to supplement, humidity around 40 - 50%.

Great stonei and roth! I agree the Stonei might be larger on a subsequent flowering, the shipping and change in growing conditions while in spike may have affected this bloom. Is the roth from HOF?

Back