Compact Stonei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimNJ

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got this compact stonei that has only about 16-18 in leaf spread with small flowers, which is great for the space I have. Is this a compact form of the species or will the plant / flowers get bigger over time? Wanted to get the expert opinions.

Attachments

• 84226CB4-A49E-44EA-9D1A-B93368CE4CFA.jpeg
    84226CB4-A49E-44EA-9D1A-B93368CE4CFA.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 0F8E2CCE-2607-4EF7-AEDF-EAC317988237.jpeg
    0F8E2CCE-2607-4EF7-AEDF-EAC317988237.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 56
Wow, I have never seen such a 'tiny' and compact Paph. stonei.....but I like it very much. đź‘Ś Flower size seems to be smaller as usual, too.

Last edited:
Though I have not heard about a compact or small version of stonei, the rules of genetics allow for smaller than normal plants to exist.

Can you take a whole picture of the plant (and length of longest leaf and width flatten) as well as measure the flower dorsal sepal width/length, petal length and spike/inflorescence height from leaves to last flower stalk (not including flower)? I can compare it with the dimensions of the type flower. The comparative study can tell us if it is a normal flower on compact plant.

Great if the specs can be compared with norms: here they are:
Longest Leaf - 25 cm long, 4 cm wide
DS - 4 cm long, 3 cm wide
Petal - 10 cms long
Spike Height - 27 cms

Photo of whole plant:

Though I have not heard about a compact or small version of stonei, the rules of genetics allow for smaller than normal plants to exist.

Can you take a whole picture of the plant (and length of longest leaf and width flatten) as well as measure the flower dorsal sepal width/length, petal length and spike/inflorescence height from leaves to last flower stalk (not including flower)? I can compare it with the dimensions of the type flower. The comparative study can tell us if it is a normal flower on compact plant.

Attachments

• A95353D2-D54B-4599-903D-303D27AB1551.jpeg
    A95353D2-D54B-4599-903D-303D27AB1551.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 34
That is beautiful. I think the plant will get larger. What are your conditions?
I think you’re right about the plant probably going to get bigger, the flowers seem small compared to the leaves too - so those may grow too. I got this in spike - but have been growing on East window with flourescent light overhead to supplement, humidity around 40 - 50%.

Great stonei and roth! I agree the Stonei might be larger on a subsequent flowering, the shipping and change in growing conditions while in spike may have affected this bloom. Is the roth from HOF?

Great stonei and roth! I agree the Stonei might be larger on a subsequent flowering, the shipping and change in growing conditions while in spike may have affected this bloom. Is the roth from HOF?

Yes, it’s from HOF. Thanks for your tip before of getting your plants from there.

Back