Compact multifloral paphs?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how good an article this is. I've been through the ringer on this one with Joan Levy.

According to Joan, wilhelm does not exist in the United States, and everything called wilhelminea is actually gardineri (or a hybrid of gardineri and praetens). According to Joan and Dr Garay, if it has twisted petals its not wilhelm.

The article posted makes very little (if any) reference on where all these species are supposed to come from other than New Guinea. Cribb shows wilhelm coming from high elevation in New Guinea, and in situ pictures show a flower with twisted petals. Praetens or glanduliferum are from lowland New Guinea. It's hard to find any reference for a collection location for gardineri, but I did manage to find on local of an island off of New Guinea. I'm not sure if the description of gardineri was based on anything more than one herbarium specimen of unknown origin.

Subsequently, I hold to Cribbs taxonomy with wilhelm coming from the highlands, 1-2 flowers (rarely 3) and plant size on the order of 6-8 inches in span. The lowland species (either called praetens or glanduliferum) is a bigger plant, slightly paler flowers, and 3-4 flowers per spike.

Thanks for the info Rick. It's definitely one to keep the taxonomists busy.

Didn't the RHS hang on to lumping everything as glanduliferum (or praestans?) until fairly recently, thus adding to the confusion?

A true wilhelminae with straight petals would be very cool--like a mini roth.

A true wilhelminae with straight petals would be very cool--like a mini roth.

I don't think it exists. Kind of reminds me of how micranthum got its name. Koopowitz also talks about another flower (can't remember what it was at this point) that was described incorrectly because it was based on a first captive blooming that was considerably different from subseqent normal bloomings for that species.

It's such a race to name species that descriptions are often based on very small sample sizes of unknown origin with questionable flower quality.

This is my Paph Lyro Blackhawk with 2 spikes and 8 growths. I do not think it is a large plant for a multi-floral paph. I grow under fluorescent lights and this one is in s/h. It seems to be a vigorous grower, although it lost a blooming size growth to rot last year around this time of year and did not bloom.

Can you tell me the diameter of the pot it is in, as a reference for size?

A quick comment on each direction this thread has gone in.

1. I agree with Rick, forget those that overcomplicate this and follow Cribb. I have seen a fair amount of collected material of these two, and feel they can be easily separated, with very little variation in true P. wilhelminiae and some variation in size and color in glanduliferum. Problem is, unless you really know the background of your plants you've a problem, because the two have been hybridized and sold under all sorts of names repeatedly. I am happy I can trace all our plants and breeding back to collected clones, but many (most?) out there have been screwed up.

2. There are a few true hybridizers out there, people who have plans and goals, as opposed to what seems to be the norm these days for crossing whatevers open and ultra mass producing plants just to have fodder to sell. The original make of Lyro Blackhawk was on a Saint Swithin that had a very dark flower and extremely compact size for the cross obtained from Steve Slaughter just for that purpose. Why would you cross P. wilhelminiae otherwise if you are hybridizing, you are bringing a dark flower and compact size to the table with it, so you search out a plant that will maximize that. I can't speak for ohers remakes.

It is the 4.5" pot from First Rays. I purchased the orchid from a vendor at our spring show 2 years ago, and he probably brought it in from Hawaii.

It is the 4.5" pot from First Rays. I purchased the orchid from a vendor at our spring show 2 years ago, and he probably brought it in from Hawaii.

So then it looks like the plant is about 6" tall (not counting the flower spike).

That is getting down to the size I need. Please post pictures when the flowers open.

I looked up several of the recommended plants and found some variances in size for each which would point to different backgrounds for the particular grex being offered.

wilhelminae was most constantly described as small but it sounds like it may be hard to find.

Yes, I will post when it opens. I am forcing the blooms now since our Spring Show is March 15-16. I have it on a wire shelf over my Jacuzzi tub that has warm water in it. Every few hours I go up to the bathroom and turn on the jets to up the humidity. I also have a Paph philippinense v. album, Paph Julius and a Paph Dollecivita on the same rack. There are 2 skylights and a southern exposure, so hopefully I will have blooms for my exhibit.

Back