Colorful Spring Flowers from Brooklyn Botanical Garden

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
It was a cloudy but bright day yesterday so the flower colors came out nicely in the photos.

I missed the peak of Spanish Bluebells and Azalea this year, but there were still plenty color to enjoy.
Rose garden was just blossoming, so I will go back soon.

For now, these were among my favorites from the visit.

Rhododendron hybrid

80Etfogl.jpg

AnBJ6I5l.jpg

Columbine

a6T0U2Rl.jpg

German Iris. I love these. Bold and beautiful. and sweetly scented.

rQULkLXl.jpg

mQvlXY0l.jpg

Peony

wiYNo2jl.jpg

This last one is from their store. Tropical Hibiscus

UbJBvRKl.jpg

All very nice! My grandmother used to grow Irises, and I love how some of the Peonies have such wondrous powerful fragrances. We used to chew the tips of the Columbine spurs for their sweet nectar when I was a kid. The Rhododendrons, though, are my favorite. They are linked in my mind to many great memories and thus hold a special place in my heart. I find their beauty unsurpassed.

I love botanical gardens and this one is wonderful. Columbine is one of my favorite flowers and I have a lot
of them. Do you suppose they'd let you have some seeds
when the pods are ripe? They self-sow beautifully, but
having seeds you can plant where you want them is a bit
better than having them all over the place as I do.

I love botanical gardens and this one is wonderful. Columbine is one of my favorite flowers and I have a lot

Do you have Aquilegia flabellata var. pumila? If so where did you get it?

I got the original one from my mother when she was
alive many, many years ago. I have noticed that Aquilegia
seeds do not "breed" true to the parent plant. I get all
kinds of variations. My pods are just beginning to mature...would you like some seeds Linus? If I'm alert,
I'll have thousands!

I love "blue" Iris of all kinds!
I once dug up this giant piece of Siberian Iris in the wild and planted the whole thing in my grandmother's front yard. Every year around May, it was spectacular!

My mother loves Peony.

Columbine wasn't common at all, actually I don't think I've ever seen one growing up. I only saw pictures of them in the wild and they only grow in very high mountains not easily accessible to regular folks.

I came to NYC and they are like weed! lol
and in lots of colors!
They are called Hawk's Claws in Korean because of those hook like structures at the back of the flower.

All very nice! My grandmother used to grow Irises, and I love how some of the Peonies have such wondrous powerful fragrances. We used to chew the tips of the Columbine spurs for their sweet nectar when I was a kid. The Rhododendrons, though, are my favorite. They are linked in my mind to many great memories and thus hold a special place in my heart. I find their beauty unsurpassed.

Nice! I haven't been to Brooklyn Botanical Garden since ~1980. It really is a great place, so more pics would be appreciated. That was the first place I ever saw authentic Japanese bonsai.

I plan on going back next week. hopefully it will be cloudy again so the pictures will come out nice. :)

Well, if I wanted the seeds, then I could just collect them when they are ready.
hahaha They are common, and as you say they spread readily via seeds and they are semi-perennials, right? so I'm sure no one would mind.

The thing is I live in a city apartment so I have no place for them.

They are beautiful and actually next to this blue guy, there was a big clump of white variety bearing lots of flowers. It stood among the green vegetation.
I tried a few shots, but the pristine white color didn't come out that great so I deleted them all.

I like the blue one the best and white and yellow are also cute.
For some reason, I don't like the pink Columbine flowers.

kinds of variations. My pods are just beginning to mature...would you like some seeds Linus? If I'm alert,
I'll have thousands!

I could be wrong, but isn't that because these are all horticultural hybrids?
You have to divide the mother plant if you want specific type of flowers.
Or they sell seeds of such specific varieties at low cost I believe.

I'll have thousands!

Thanks for the kind offer but I'm guessing you have canadensis which I have lots of already. I want something low growing for the border.

Latest posts

Back