cold brewed coffee

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likespaphs

some call me brian
Reaction score
hi. does anyone have any experience with the so-called cold toddy process to make coffee (grind beans, put in cold/room temperature water and let soak for 12 hours, filter, add concentrate to warm/cold water/milk, sweeten as desired, drink)?
i've heard good and bad things but very little firsthand experience. i've been thinking of trying it, especially when it's hot hot hot in the summer.
thanks...

I'm sorta with Eric on this one, but I bet it's more concentrated. Would you use ground espresso or regular coffee?

I've never tried it though so can't say really.
One thing though you could also do with it is freeze it in ice cube trays so as not to water it down (that's an old Martha Stewart trick for something to do with leftover brewed coffee.)

Probably has a different flavor profile than heat-brewed coffee since some compounds in the ground coffee will be less soluble in cold water, but a long slow process may also bring out some new flavors. Could be interesting. I've never seen any directions on how to do this though.

I am drinking an iced coffee at the moment...love it! I make a large pot of coffee, on the strong side, in the evening...come morning, it is cooled and I transfer it to the fridge of pour it over ice...although I normally make a cafe con leche for my morning cup.

When I was in Peru, the owner of the B&B that we stayed at would make, what she termed as coffee "syrup". She didn't speak English and I don't speak very much Spanish but it was a concentrated, brewed coffee. One would pour themselves a cup of hot water and then add some this "syrup" (a non sweetened, coffee concentrate) to the water and you would have a cup of coffee. She showed me the pot that she used to brew it... I am sure this could be used for iced coffee as well but I don't have one of those pots nor do I know what she used to make it.

An espresso maker might be an alternative. Make espresso, dilute with cold water and ice. I will have to try that and let you know how it is.

If you have any further info on this cold technique, I would be interested in hearing about it.

lots of info found here

more info on hot brewing vs cold brewing here

i like strong, highly flavored coffee (actually, coffee with a couple shots of espresso). apparently, those are from volatile oils that are not extracted with the cold brewing process and there is discussion of those who long strong tasting coffee may not like it.

it is a syrup type that is diluted before drinking.

(i drink espresso now and only use a little more water when i brew it...)

I've never acquired a taste for coffee but these links are quite interesting! Have fun coffee drinkers!

I have the Toddy system and used it over 20 years ago. It makes a concentrate that works great for those who have problems with the acidity of brewed coffee. I think that it would be perfect for iced coffee and for quick cups in the morning if you do not have time to wait for perked or drip. I use a Farberware fast perk now since I love super hot coffee because I add half and half. After perking I put the remainder in a heated carafe.

I’m tempted to try this just to see. It can’t hurt to give it a shot.

I've always used a Chemex and ground my own beans just before use—there are people who’ve visited me and thought this was weird, but I like the results for any number of reasons. I always brew it strong and prefer medium to dark roasts (Kauai Peaberry is my favorite). If I set out to make iced coffee, as opposed to making it from a bit left over, I just use more beans or brew with less water.

The Vietnamese (it might be more widespread in SEAsia) have an iced coffee.

I think they start out with hot expresso and poor it over ice. Then they add condensed milk (very sweet and thick).:drool:

It's good for a jolt.

The Vietnamese (it might be more widespread in SEAsia) have an iced coffee.

I think they start out with hot expresso and poor it over ice. Then they add condensed milk (very sweet and thick).:drool:

It's good for a jolt.

Oh yes, I totally agree. It is devine. But I usually only have it on a Friday so that it doesn't matter if I don't sleep a wink. :rollhappy:

Latest posts

Back