Clowesia russelliana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuRu

experienced greenhorn
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been growing this plant like all my orchids in inorganic potting medium for many years. It flowers annually and this year with 3 spikes, the 4th blasted. Due to the hanging flower spikes it isn't easy to find a reasonable background to take photos, but I did my best.

07668_21.09.07_clowesia russelliana.jpg

07669_21.09.07_clowesia russelliana.jpg

Last edited:
Being a green flower lover, this is just amazing!!
I always had an impression that this plant gets huge but the pseudobulbs stay relatively manageable height for indoors it looks?
The long hanging down spikes are impressive on these plants but I see what you mean.
Not only for the photos but when it's time to water, it can be annoying. At least for home growers like me who has to move plants to water and put them back to their place afterwards.

......I always had an impression that this plant gets huge but the pseudobulbs stay relatively manageable height for indoors it looks? The long hanging down spikes are impressive on these plants but I see what you mean.
Not only for the photos but when it's time to water, it can be annoying. At least for home growers like me who has to move plants to water and put them back to their place afterwards.

Indeed, my 2 Catasetums and this Clowesia have grown far to big to a normal windowsill in its classical sense. In our house I have the advantage that many windows reach down to the floor and my windowsill is the room floor covert with tiles....and there is enough space. In the growing season I water all once a week in the cachepot. I can lift the Catasetums up for watering but not the Clowesia. Its pot seems to be grown together with the cachepot. But fortunately there are two gaps to water in.....

Last edited:
Update November 2021

Flower spike number 4 and 5 of this season are flowering now. These will be the last ones in this year. It's a reliable bloomer so more flowers definitely next year.For those who are interest in.....I've grown this plant for many years in pure cut styrofoam stripes.

07880_21.11.06_clowesia russelliana.jpg

Update November 2021

Flower spike number 4 and 5 of this season are flowering now. These will be the last ones in this year. It's a reliable bloomer so more flowers definitely next year.For those who are interest in.....I've grown this plant for many years in pure cut styrofoam stripes.

Pure styrofoam????? Wow!!!

07880_21.11.06_clowesia russelliana.jpg

Latest posts

Back