Clivia miniata in bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Gideon

Well it is Clivia miniata blooming season in SA, so are a few of my babies

TRC_icecream_1.jpg

TRC_mini_1.jpg

TRC_MP_1.jpg

TRC_peach_1.jpg

TRC_splash_1.jpg

TRC_tangerine_1.jpg

TRC_yellow_1.jpg

TRC_yellow_2.jpg

TRC_yellow_4.jpg

Oh lord...I'm gonna get re-addicted to these guys I can feel it....

Awesome cultivars Gideon, and that Red Multipetal Variegated is EXQUISITE! Wish it was blooming season here, mine are getting first bloom size.

Jon
________
Home Insurance Dicussion

Last edited:
You guys are going to make me google these aren't you? Tell me the history behind these. Where do they come from? The different cultivars reminds me of Neofinetia.

Wow, they are lovely, did you see the one they sold for $4200 last week?

Phrag, check out Gideon's Clivia site at www.cliviabase.co.za for some info on these South African plants

I am amazed by the variation in this species. When I was in Kenya a few years ago, I took some seed from a plant I saw along the road. I took it back to the Netherlands and germinated them, and to my surprise (about 5 years later) some of them turned out yellow, some were orange, and some were yellow with orange, kind of like the splash one. Later I found out that the yellow ones sell for lots of money. When I moved to the US I gave them all to my mom to take care of.....Later I found out she had given them all away:sob:

Robert

PHRAG said:
Can you tell us more about these? I like the different variations.
John, these plants are from South Africa, there are 6 species, namely:
C.miniata, C. nobilis, C. gardenii, C. robustus, C. caulescence and the newly (2002) descovered C. mirabilis. There is a huge variety of colours (we use colour charts to distinguish differences), shapes and sizes, a very well know Japanese breeder, Yoshikazu Nakamura has done wonders with the different colours and flower shapes. The Chinese Clivia breeders have some of the best variegated and broadleaved varieties. The Chinese grow Clivia mainly for the leaves, they say they have one season for flowers, three for berries and four for the leaves.

Onces the flowers are spent and provided they have been pollinated successfully, green berries (seed pods) form, which change colour as they mature to red, yellow, variegated and peachy colour, depending on the mother plant

DavidM said:
Wow, they are lovely, did you see the one they sold for $4200 last week?

Yes I saw it, it is called Charl's Green and is the greenest Clivia I have seen

I could get addicted to collecting Clivia. It's a good thing they are bigger plants or I would probably have more by now. The two I have bloom faithfully every year....I love the flowers.

Latest posts

Back