Cleisocentron gokusinii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it…sort of a succulent Vanda?
Hmmm.. at first I was sorta horrified by that description, then I had to laugh. I guess in some ways the stem/leaf grow habit looks that way. The flower habit not so much. I hope the taxonomy wing never gets that idea. And while I like vandas I’m pretty partial to this beauty.

Actually, many orchids would be considered to be "succulents" since structures such as pseudobulbs and thickened leaves are water retaining, succulent tissue. According to Wikipedia:

"...succulent plants are drought-resistant plants in which the leaves, stem, or roots have become more than usually fleshy by the development of water-storing tissue.[4] Other sources exclude roots as in the definition "a plant with thick, fleshy and swollen stems and/or leaves, adapted to dry environments".

Hmmm.. at first I was sorta horrified by that description, then I had to laugh. I guess in some ways the stem/leaf grow habit looks that way. The flower habit not so much. I hope the taxonomy wing never gets that idea. And while I like vandas I’m pretty partial to this beauty.
We’ll you got me wanting one. And wanting to see what it does bred to Neofinetia falcata and Angraecum urischianum. 🤪

Nothing too special. GH temps range 40-80 F, good humidity, 3-4K FC light, good air movement. Mine has always been mounted, I don’t know how it might fair in a pot.
I had one in my previous collection too but it didn't branch out like yours... I grew mine the same way too... Thanks.

I had one in my previous collection too but it didn't branch out like yours... I grew mine the same way too... Thanks.
Tom, I agree, more branch than keiki. I hope to see it continue to expand. I’d like to grow it to specimen size.. but one knows one shouldn’t say so out loud….

Back