Clearex Salt Leaching Solution

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used it on a tub of diatomite (experimental s/h setup for catts). When I remember, I use it to leach - the tub has no drainage so salt buildup is pretty serious. Haven't used it on slippers, and haven't used it enough to express any opinion other than that it hasn't harmed the catts.

Interesting. Somebody try it on slippers andlet us know how it works. Im chicken

Can someone who has this stuff please post the ingredient label? Or point me to the manufacturer's website? The chemist in me is curious...

PaphMadMan (Kirk)

All I've been able to find out is that it's manufactured by Botanicare but so far haven't found out what's in the ingredient label either. Someone suggested that it was "sugar water". If someone could find the info. I'd be interested in seeing it.

yeah, that's about right. 0.4 % glucose, 0.2% sucrose. Doesn't say what else.

Does this mean I can make it? I don't know that it's worth having shipped. I have serious solid buildup problems so I basically'll try anything.

yeah, that's about right. 0.4 % glucose, 0.2% sucrose. Doesn't say what else.

Does this mean I can make it? I don't know that it's worth having shipped. I have serious solid buildup problems so I basically'll try anything.

It sounds like you can mix a few drops of sugar in distilled water.
It would be so cheap compare to what ever they sell the stuff for?
Who is the chemist in the forum? what the heck is ionic solution?

Ki, I couldn't even find the ingredients. Where did you see that? I don't know, but if it's this hard finding out what the chemical compostion is....the suspicious part of me says it's because no one would pay for what's in it.

I got the info off the bottle. (yeah, I have one. I think I had credit somewhere to use up)

The logical explanation as to why there are no ingredients floating around is probably simply because it doesn't fall under regulated chemicals. (I am guessing here....) Hence no legal requirement to state ingredients.

The logical explanation as to why there are no ingredients floating around is probably simply because it doesn't fall under regulated chemicals. (I am guessing here....) Hence no legal requirement to state ingredients.

that makes sense

It sounds like you can mix a few drops of sugar in distilled water.
It would be so cheap compare to what ever they sell the stuff for?
Who is the chemist in the forum? what the heck is ionic solution?

An ionic solution contains any salt-like compound that splits into positive and negative ions in solution. Most water soluble fertilizers would be ionic solutions.

This stuff must have more in it than the tiny amount of sugars that have been discussed here or it wouldn't do anything. Sugar makes a non-ionic solution BTW.

I got the info off the bottle. (yeah, I have one. I think I had credit somewhere to use up)

That sounds likely, a 'proprietary' formula containing the kinds of things that don't have to be listed. I've heard of using a solution of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) to leach mineral deposits out of old clay pots. This may be something like that, using a very soluble compound to help loosen up deposits of less soluble ones.

Does anyone who has this stuff have a way to test the pH? Even a mildly acidic solution could do a lot to break up carbonate deposits that are usually the worst part of mineral build up.

PaphMadMan (Kirk)

I have some questions.

Something with this product description does not make sense to me. Maybe someone can clarify the purpose.

Why would you want to "unlock the ionic bond between the nutrient and the soil or soilless grow substrate"? A nutrient salt that is locked to the soil is not normally a problem salt. Is it? The salts that we want to flush out of the orchid media are salts that are soluble and not locked. The locked nutrient salts are there for the plant roots to unlock for the plant to use.

Unless someone can suggest an epsom salt mixture dosage, say x amt. of tablespoons per gallon etc. that has worked for them, I'm going to start throwing my leca out. I hate to do that since the Crop King leca I buy is so expensive-shipping mainly. I've just started noticing this season that I'm starting to have some salt build up specifically on the top layer of leca. I do use R.O. probably don't flush as often as I should and my misters that are on almost constantly in the summer are run off my regular hard water, water line. So, 3-4 years of useage and at least one sterilization and reuse is pretty good to get out of any media I suppose. It's a lot of work to sterilize it and I don't want to waste any more time soaking in epsom salts if it's not going to get it pretty much back to brand new.

I've pretty much decided the hydroton I can get locally might just be chucked rather than sterilized and reused. I spent many hours sterilizing leca this weekend and who knows how much natural gas I used doing it...I think I can pinch pennies in other areas and save myself a lot of work. Just a couple of thoughts I've been mulling over.

Would it be faster if you use a big pot [throw away condition].
-boil the water
-dump the pebble in there (if you want to cook them thoroughly)
-use a big laddle to stir, then to scoop them out after a few minutes
-Lately, I get more lazy, and I also use a chinese mesh screen wok so I don't have to scoop them out in small portions.

maybe something similar likes the Eastman outdoors 10.5Qt. Aluminum Cooking Set from HomeDepot would work faster too.

Sorry, I could not link the home depot site to the right item.
It keeps showing all the cooking utensils.

Attachments

• eastman.jpg
    eastman.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 0
Back