CITES at work

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are we doing this to our world/planet??? Who is the smart guy that suggested such treatments in the name of "raising the income of local societies" or "his/her own"!!!! In such occasions I "hate us" as a species!!!:mad:

I do not know why we find this so astonishing? Though it is sad it is nothing new. Mankind has been changing the natural world for his own betterment since the beginning of his existence. Every culture has changed its surroundings. Think farming, building houses, clearing land for settlements, and the list is endless. Now when the developing societies want to have all the “better” things modern society brings we decry their doing what we have already done.

Corbin you are right!!
This may have happenned so since the beggining of mankind existance, but it has gone too far!!! I think that the capacity of earth for the hunams is overwhelmed to 1000000.......%! And do not forget that at the beginning, man and nature were co existing, there was some respect! (Additionally, has anyone seen the docunentary "Earthlings"???) But now this respect is not evident, even towards our neighbour, our family!!! And the word "developement" has been wrongly used nowadays!
The good thing in this is that the whole system (nature, economy, society etc) has already started collapsing because balance is reversed and the foundations are rotten, so that it can be recreated with new standards and values!!! I don't think I will be living till then so that I experience this change, though! :rolleyes:

(I think there should be another thread to discuss such aspects..!):)

yup. kinda like the Franklinia
click this link
i guess i had the story of it wrong. i thought Ben Franklin had collected one tree way back when and when he went back, they were gone.

I do not know why we find this so astonishing? Though it is sad it is nothing new. Mankind has been changing the natural world for his own betterment since the beginning of his existence. Every culture has changed its surroundings. Think farming, building houses, clearing land for settlements, and the list is endless. Now when the developing societies want to have all the “better” things modern society brings we decry their doing what we have already done.

Forget about developing countries.
Last night on Television, they report that there will be a lot pushing for deregulations of many things from lobbyists before Bush leaves office , including environmental issues that will pollute water resource etc..

Forget about developing countries.
Last night on Television, they report that there will be a lot pushing for deregulations of many things from lobbyists before Bush leaves office , including environmental issues that will pollute water resource etc..
Yes. Hopefully Obama can reverse these idiot plans.

Hopefully, we as a whole will realize the finite resources available and do some things to keep them alive. I would pay to keep some undeveloped land in foreign countries.

In the comming years they will be likely be clearing the Eastern slopes of the Peruvian Andes to grow sugar cane for bio fuels. Sad, but we gotta recharge our cell phone and ipod batteries somehow. :(
I wonder if that really is a far sighted decision, when you just watch the mud slide disaster in Columbia a few days ago.

I saw a CEO (of a big Auto maker company) saying in an interview on TV that his company now participates in reduction of world pollution by shifting the cars' selling effort from the US to China.
How big is this guy's brain ? lemur size?
On the issue of other countries who want to do the same thing we did.
Any country that can avoid our mistakes will surpass us.
I remember, whenever I was about to do something bad, claiming that the other kids did those too. My grand mother would say to me:
"so , you are telling me, if they eat ****, you would eat it too?"

Last edited:
Back