CITES and hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone,
I am after some information regarding the above. i.e. do paph and phrag hybrids grown in flask come under CITES?
Thanks

No hybrids do, species do, otherwise we would all be growing rungsuryianums.

So are you saying hybrids don’t? Even if one of the parents are say kovachii or rungsuriyanum for arguments sake?

Last edited:
CITES, by definition, is meant to control international trade in wild-acquired endangered species. The convention itself excludes hybrids and artificially propagated species.

However, it is up to the various national authorities to apply the convention, and the extent to which that is interpreted and accomplished varies.

For example, the USFWS refused to accept the entry of artificially propagated flasks of Vietnamese species - exempt from CITES - because Vietnam had never, ever, issued CITES documentation, or maybe I should state that as did not have an established, working, CITES authority.

CITES, by definition, is meant to control international trade in wild-acquired endangered species. The convention itself excludes hybrids and artificially propagated species.

However, it is up to the various national authorities to apply the convention, and the extent to which that is interpreted and accomplished varies.

For example, the USFWS refused to accept the entry of artificially propagated flasks of Vietnamese species - exempt from CITES - because Vietnam had never, ever, issued CITES documentation, or maybe I should state that as did not have an established, working, CITES authority.
I guess you are right, because the Chinese buyers came into Vietnam buying cheaply tons and tons of orchids as well as others plants, herbs, woods , animals etc...I have not heard of discouragement of trading between countries from those governments

There are rungs and their hybrids being grown in Taiwan and Thailand. If you get flasks from those countries It would be interesting. Remember it is illegal to falsely identify flasks! :p

Also, the collateral effect is not to give full standing to hybrids made with species that are still in question. For example, the AOS would not certify awards given to Chia Hua Dancer at one time because of the uncertainty with the source of gigantifolium.

Latest posts

Back