Circa 1993 Paph. Delrosi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, one of our local orchid society members passed away last month. His plants were auctioned off at our society meeting, and one that I bought is a Paph. Delrosi, with a tag that begins with the year 1993. It’s a 5-growth plant; a 6th growth broke away during repotting. I don’t know whether he ever bloomed this plant.

Whats the best cultural approach? I’ve read old posts here; some recommend a tough-love/ try and kill it method for these earlier crosses. Cold and dry winters; hot summers?

Unfortunately some of those are foliage plants... I'd go with bright light (cattleya light?) and see if that does it. And maybe cool temperatures in the fall, although neither parent really needs that.

These old Paph. Delrosi's are almost (?) impossible to bloom. We had one clone from the old Clement's Collection that had 1973 written on the name tag and we could find no evidence it had ever bloomed. We tried everything from cool/dry to warm/wet, fertilize heavily/ fertilize lightly and on and on...and nothing worked. I think more recently hybridized clones have a better chance at blooming.

Pat,
I have a Delrosii from the Bill Romanoff collection. I have had it for at least 25 years. I only bloomed it once a few years ago! Brought it from very light (Cattleya) to a shadier spot. I agree with Tom K. Get a more recently made hybrid.

Pat,
I have a Delrosii from the Bill Romanoff collection. I have had it for at least 25 years. I only bloomed it once a few years ago! Brought it from very light (Cattleya) to a shadier spot. I agree with Tom K. Get a more recently made hybrid.
Oh dear! Once in 25 years.... well, by that calculation, mine should be about due (2019-1993 = 26 years)!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back