Christmas in California

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candace

Reaction score
A couple of my Christmas Palms. Monkey Girl was busy up on a ladder again today. We got the tree up and decorated today too. It was only 55 today. Brrr... :p I made us all hot chocolate and I was wearing a heavy parka while putting the giant bulbs on the Butia capitata. The segos are much easier since they're my height.

65 (ish) year old Butia capitata
img4616.jpg

One of the smaller segos
img4615y.jpg

From all of us here in Chicago... bite me, Heather. We've entered our deep freeze. See you in April or May when the ice thaws. Nice to have a warm, humid, "sunny" grow range to retreat to.

-Ernie

I second the "BITE ME"...right now it's 27 degrees and 18 degree wind chill here...now that is heavy parka weather you light weight.

--Allen--

WHAAAT a heavy parka at 55 degrees?!! I'm outside training my dogs & giving lessons in a long sleeve T shirt, jeans & a fleece top, which was beginning to get too hot!

We had snow fluries on Fri mixed with a bit of rain. Saturday morning there was ice on everything, burrrr.. It snowed one day last year too. It must be global warming!

oh my god, I can't stand it. We've been under heavy snow/blizzard conditions over our whole province for two days. :poke: And you had to put a parka on for 55 F??? :p

(Your palms look very cool with all the bling, btw).

From all of us here in Chicago... bite me, Heather. We've entered our deep freeze. See you in April or May when the ice thaws. Nice to have a warm, humid, "sunny" grow range to retreat to.

-Ernie

Hey! I wasn't gloating bout the weather here!
Tho Kami has been telling me I'm finally becoming a native cause I'm cold all the time in the evenings and it is still above freezing.

I'm kind of having a hard time getting into Christmas with no snow, actually and am jeaous of the rest of you!

Candace, the palms look great! Where'd you get your tree? We are going on that mission today.

Candace, the palms look great! Where'd you get your tree? We are going on that mission today.

For years we used to go to Christmas tree lots and cut our own. But, my allergist found out about that and had a fit. It makes sense that the trees harbor all kinds of pollens, molds etc. So, I bought an artificial tree about 3 or 4 years ago.

If you want to do a cut your own thing, look in the Sacramento Bee. There are tons of ads this time of year. There are a few places pretty close to Elk Grove unless they've gone out of business.

Candace- Awesome palms!! The weather has been cold here. We had snow on Friday and heavy freeze with ice Friday night. Not typical Texas weather!

Your photos are funny :rollhappy:

The weather is better today, but it was hell in Alberta Canada. non-stop winds and record breaking snows. OK I could deal with snow, but not the wind. Shovel...wind blows back on sidewalk

Candace,

Your pics remind me of my first Christmas in Miami back in '81. I had just moved from NY and I was totally floored to see lights strung all over tropical palms, ficus, and so on. I was further floored by people wearing down filled jackets at 45 F....I laughed my ass in fact off since come mid winter thaw, that was tee shirt weather on a sunny day in mid January up in NY.

Today we almost got down to freezing here in southern Japan - the thermometer read 1.9 C (~35 F) this morning and crystalline frost was on the vegetable patch across the street. Winter is almost here!

Back