Chinese Cymbidiums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abax

In Remembrance 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for months for someone/anyone who sells ensifoliums
and can't find a single vendor with the exception of one vendor on ebay
whom I don't know and grows them in straight sphagnum...not my ideal
way to grow Chinese Cyms at all. Any suggestions?????

I would try New World Orchids, they have several Asian cymbidium for sale.

https://newworldorchids.com/product-category/plants/cymbidium/

Every once in awhile eBay vendor japaneseorchids aka Seed Engei sells Asian cymbidium. I buy Neofinetia falcata from them. They have a website too. They do not have any listed on their website, but contact them and they might have them unlisted.

http://www.seed-engei.com

Asian cymbidium are smaller than your average cymbidium and the smaller they are the more expensive! The ones that have variegated leaves are also expensive. These Cymbidium goeringii are from Japan but their origin is from the Himalayas, so I guess they would be considered Chinese.

Thank you all for giving me more leads to follow up. New World shows
mostly the cool growing Chinese Cyms. I love 'em, but my greenhouse
runs a bit warm for them. I'm looking specifically for ensifolium. I know
I can bloom ensi. as I have an ensifolium var album blooming now. The
fragrance is heavenly!

I sure do miss Maisie Orchids.

Fibre, where is hengduanbiotech located? If it isn't in the U.S., I won't bother them
with an email.

hengduanbiotech is located in China but comes to the USA some times.

I'd go with ordering from Holger Perner/Hengduan Biotech. The Perners come to the US for shows and symposium almost every year.

Bet they will be back at the Pacific Orchid Exposition in SF in February. As Dot said, they ship the plants from the US. I've gotten 7 plants from the Perners this way.

How much lead time do I need to give Perner before the POE? Is he a PayPal vendor? It seems a bit chancy to buy plants without seeing them
and the poor plants coming from China to U.S. and then to KY. I think I
might email Thanh as well to see if he ever comes across Chinese Cyms and
maybe Mr. Lin.

abax, I'm not sure if the Perners will be at POE so it is best to email them.

As for purchasing plants sight unseen, I totally understand, but most of the time when we buy plants online you don't get to see them. That said, the Paphs and Neo I got from the Perners plants were of good size, am happy with my purchases and they are growing well.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the leads. I can't imagine that someone
in the U.S. doesn't love these beautiful orchids enough to grow and sell
them. Crazy!

Um, one of our very own members seems to have them in stock, and for a great price. Piping Rock.

http://www.pipingrockorchids.com/miscellaneous/cymbidium-ensifolium-pr190.php

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get one of the goeringiis. I don't have the room, and I killed one a while back, so I've not quite worked up the nerve to order one.

Angela, if you are interested I could mail you the Perner's plant list (from dec 2013) for the Dresdner Orchid show in Germany! I ordered quite some plants, all good quality! The catalogue is in German language unfortunately but with pictures, so you would have a feeling of their selection! (PM me your email adress)

Jean

Um, one of our very own members seems to have them in stock, and for a great price. Piping Rock.

http://www.pipingrockorchids.com/miscellaneous/cymbidium-ensifolium-pr190.php

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get one of the goeringiis. I don't have the room, and I killed one a while back, so I've not quite worked up the nerve to order one.

Thanks for the lead! I'm interested in trying goeringiis- but outside (and heavily mulched in the winter). Botanyboy's video had them growing outdoors with Calanthea sieboldi, and mine successfully overwintered this past cold winter.

I'm off to Piping Rock! The Cyms. I can't grow are kanran, goeringii and
sinense. Growing outside with lots of protection is a great idea for these
cool growers, Linus. Did your plant bloom this year?

Mr. Potter, let me order a couple and see what they look like. I've found
ensifolium to be the most temp. tolerant and easy to bloom. O.K., I just
ordered an ensifolium and a sinense for 24.95 each. Not a bad price, but
I'm betting they're small plants at that price. I have bloomed sinense a
long time ago and hoping a 58F-60F winter low will do the trick.

I'm off to Piping Rock! The Cyms. I can't grow are kanran, goeringii and
sinense. Growing outside with lots of protection is a great idea for these
cool growers, Linus. Did your plant bloom this year?

Mr. Potter, let me order a couple and see what they look like. I've found
ensifolium to be the most temp. tolerant and easy to bloom. O.K., I just
ordered an ensifolium and a sinense for 24.95 each. Not a bad price, but
I'm betting they're small plants at that price. I have bloomed sinense a
long time ago and hoping a 58F-60F winter low will do the trick.

Good luck with them. Piping Rock lists them as blooming sized divisions, so I hope you're pleasantly surprised. The flowers smell wonderful, which is always a big draw in my book.

I want to try goeringii because most of the clones I've seen are small enough to fit under the lights. Though, I'm not certain if the T8s would be strong enough to bloom one.

FWIW, here in southeast PA, they all do very well for me in s/h culture. Maybe the evaporative cooling from the medium is a good thing, unlike for phals.

Before I had the greenhouse, I grew several ensifolium and senense on an
east windowsill and they did really well with a humidifier directly under
them. They got some sun in the morning, but shade the rest of the day.
I don't think most of the Chinese Cyms need very bright light in order to
thrive. The ensi album I have now is sitting on a step bench on the second level down and I have mirrors under it. It gets less light than
most of my Paphs. As I've mentioned before, it's mostly in clay aggregate (and a bit of osmunda and a bit of Orchiata) and is thriving and delightfully blooming. I think less watering and very high humidity
is the key to growing them well. I water it maybe once a week if it needs
it. I think most newbies to CCyms waaaaay over water and fertilize.

Oh, I meant to mention that Piping Rock had one minature CCym that only grew to 7"-8" at maturity. Fragrance is my undoing...I loooooove the fragrance of some orchids.

Latest posts

Back