Quantcast

Chinese cymbidiums

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

smartie2000

Reaction score
I could post, but you will just see lots of leaves. all of mine are ensifolium and are variegated on the edges though. but I have previous year's photos.

L

luis

Each photo have the name on it. Yes, it's a good idea, smartie2000 to post photos of other years. :eek:

smartie2000

Reaction score
haha (哈哈) I can't really write Chinese but I have the names of these in characters...I just realized that I rarely post my cymbidiums on the forums. all three have some degree of variegation in the leaves. I don't have special cultivars with double petalled blooms yet:p those intruiging things are to wierd for my taste at the current moment. maybe i'll buy one for a conversation piece when I have huge amounts of space to grow.

Cym. ensifolium v. Tie Gu Su Xin 铁骨素心 . This translates to Iron Bone Plain Flower.

Cym. ensifolium 银边素心兰 – I translated this to White Edge Plain Flower. This plant has more variegation than 'Iron Bone Plain Flower' It was given to me by a chinese friend, I don't think it is available in Canadian orchid nurseries that I've seen. This one has more distinctly variegated foliage, hence the name. If you give your plants higher lights they become more variegated. This plant is rare in my friends perception, so he didn't divide it to many, but nowadays Chinese cymbidiums are everywhere. (there does remain a few cultivars that are indeed rare though)

Cymbidium ensifolium var. Cai Hong 彩虹. It also goes by 'Rainbow'. Its foliage is also slightly variegated, the new growths are slightly pink too. So both its flowers and the foliage are multi-coloured at some stage.

I need a cymbidium sinense in my collection!

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Thanks for the look at those lovely flowers and plants Fren! Also, thanks for starting this thread Luis! I've got a few of these, particularly C. goeringii, but most bloom in a another couple weeks...there are a few out in the garden - I'll have to check later to see what they're up to. You really should grow these just for the smell alone.

smartie2000

Reaction score
Lovely Fren! Do you put the outside in the summer?
Nope. These can grow indoors all year. Chinese cymbidiums are warm tolerant, and low light tolerant. The guy who divided plants for me had many on one windowsill.

I do have a feeling Cymbidium goeringii is likely more difficult, but they are harder to find in Canada anyway

L

luis

Wow

:drool: Thank you very much to all, i'm crasy for chinese cymb, and it will be very interesting if we all make a beautifull album of it here. I have 12 diferent ch cymb and i promiss i will put them here! Thank you smartie your ensifoliums are great! ;)

E

etex

Great blooms and plants, Fren- I love Rainbow but all are elegant beauties!Great growing!

E

Eric Muehlbauer

I have goeringii in my yard...it survived its first winter. I doubt that it will bloom though...