Cheers from the Central Coast of California!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrestrial_man

Reaction score
I am Jerry Copeland and live in Santa Maria, California.
My interests in orchids really began with an opportunity that Mr. Paul Gripp, of the Santa Barbara Orchid Estates, gave me back in 1968 to work for his company. Prior to that my only experience with orchids was in growing Goodyera pubescens in what was called a Partridge Berry Bowl that I had purchased from Arthur Eames Allgrove in the NE USA. I really had little knowledge of orchids at the time of my hiring but I did know how to grow plants as I was growing many, mostly native California species.
While my first year of employment was spent repotting oodles and oodles of cymbidiums I was given the charge of cultivating all the non-cymbidium genera at SBOE. To say I was staggered is an understatement but it was one challenge that I not only looked forward to mastering but enjoyed the opportunity to understand how the many different genera needed to be grown. While I loved the cats and less so the phallys, and hated the dendrobium nobiles!!! I really enjoyed the cool house with the paphs, the lycastes and the cool growing odontoglossums.
Since those few years so many years ago I have been just maintaining a small home made greenhouse with tropical plants and some orchids, notably Ludisia, paphs, phrags, and lycastes. However I found that I enjoy writing and have learned html and have set up a website in which I have posted various journals in varying stages of growth that include one on repotting Paphiopedilum delenatii, a sheet on Lycaste, and just lately a journal on Jewel Orchids in addition to other journals posted or to be so.
You can visit me at:
http://www.jsionline.freeservers.com/
My primary interest at this time are in phrags besides the lycastes and the jewel orchids. Looks like I will have to do up a journal on my phrags!

Welcome, Jerry. I enjoyed your jewel orchids blog. Have you tried using any of the coco-peat products as a medium for them? I was introduced to a product that is a little stringier than regular coco-peat, and looked like it would be much airier. I thought I might try potting my Macodes in it when it's done blooming.

SlipperFan said:
Welcome, Jerry. I enjoyed your jewel orchids blog. Have you tried using any of the coco-peat products as a medium for them? I was introduced to a product that is a little stringier than regular coco-peat, and looked like it would be much airier. I thought I might try potting my Macodes in it when it's done blooming.
Thanks for the comments. Haven't really used any commercial blends in ages. I like to work up my own media blends though I am really settling on my debris mix as the basic mix which I can modify for specific reasons. I was kind of blown away by the osmunda root in my osmunda bog. Have no idea if the plants are even alive any more or not. The root is really interesting and I do have a plant of Goodyera oblongifolia wrapped in it just to see how the plant responds. With the jewels being basically leaf debris growers their habit of long stems from which upright stalks arise giving way to spikes only makes sense. Glad to hear that you have flowered Macodes. My poor plant got ate to a stub! At this moment I have my Anoectochilus, Dossinia, and the Ludisia nigrescens inside of plastic containers to protect them from slugs. I try to kill what I can but I need to get into the greenhouse and do a complete clean-up to snag any of those slimey slugs! Can't use chemicals as I have a tree frog in the house. I have not mastered Macodes culture but think I know what needs to be done: higher heat and higher humidity. I have several species of tropical Selaginella in the g/h inside of glass jars and they are doing just fine, from great to being alive. I need to image those babies and see if there is a journal there!
The thing that I am experimenting with is Paphiopedilum delenatii mounted! It is wrapped with some sphag and some woody packing fiber that some plants were sent to me in the mails packaged in. It is growing and has a new growth!! So???

Welcome from NYC. For slug protection in our old garden we used cleaned egg shell. Nutritious and the sharp edges wont let slugs through.

Terrestrial in Peru?

gonewild said:
Welcome Jerry. I'm on the central coast as well, about a hour north of you. Sure was cold today :)

Have you grown any of the terrestrials from Peru?

When it comes to South or Central American terrestrial orchids I am totally in the dark apart from the Phrags
which are one of my favorite orchids. If there are any
other terrestrial would appreciate some enlightenment!

It was nice in Santa Maria, a little windy which is a drag as it can dry out my mosses and the few species orchids I have hanging outside. I like cool weather but not cold weather especially with wind!!!

Took a moment to check your site-Gonewild. Really remarkable-I enjoy the fact that you are into tropical freshwater fish, especially the killifishes. Like fish too, but my tropical fish days are over-no time. Do have a few goldfish in a large rubbermaid storage box, some mosquito fish in a WalMart special planter box, and White Cloud Mountain Minnows and hopefully some American Flagfish (if they are still alive) in an old deep basin!

terrestrial_man said:
When it comes to South or Central American terrestrial orchids I am totally in the dark apart from the Phrags
which are one of my favorite orchids. If there are any
other terrestrial would appreciate some enlightenment!

Yes, there are others! I was not referring to Phrags or Zygos but rather to the smaller species from the low forest that resemble the jewel orchids in growth. I don't remember the genera but I found half a dozen with different leaf patterns. Mind you they are not as vividly marked as jewel orchids but they are nice. I'll see if I have any photos I can post.

It was nice in Santa Maria, a little windy which is a drag as it can dry out my mosses and the few species orchids I have hanging outside. I like cool weather but not cold weather especially with wind!!!

OK but I bet it was cold today! Not here it was nice.

Took a moment to check your site-Gonewild. Really remarkable-I enjoy the fact that you are into tropical freshwater fish, especially the killifishes. Like fish too, but my tropical fish days are over-no time. Do have a few goldfish in a large rubbermaid storage box, some mosquito fish in a WalMart special planter box, and White Cloud Mountain Minnows and hopefully some American Flagfish (if they are still alive) in an old deep basin!

We have the same problem here, no room or time for fish, so the fish will just have to stay in Peru. We have vowed to not keep fish here. But there is one new killifish I sure would like to go back and collect. :drool:

Hi NYEric!
I have no problem with being ignorant about the severe
cold weather you all have! Not for me! Last nite it got down to 38F. Makes me a little nervous as I am growing Heliamphora minor outside and that low is approaching the lower limit for them. Plus I have a Dendrobium jenkensii outside along with Dendrobium cuthbertsonii. The Cyms and the Zygo should do well.
But I am sure glad that I do not have to deal with constant snow and snow gales!!! Not my cup of tea!

South American terrestrial jewels

gonewild said:
Yes, there are others! I was not referring to Phrags or Zygos but rather to the smaller species from the low forest that resemble the jewel orchids in growth. I don't remember the genera but I found half a dozen with different leaf patterns. Mind you they are not as vividly marked as jewel orchids but they are nice. I'll see if I have any photos I can post.
Definitely hope you find your images as I would like to see what you are talking about. The only genera that I can think of that may have species in that area could be Spiranthes, Liparis, Habenaria, and possibly Goodyera.
I will check it out later this week

OK but I bet it was cold today! Not here it was nice.
It was a beautiful day until around 4PM then it started getting cold. I went by and saw my final client (I am a retired accountant) and his shop was COLD!

We have the same problem here, no room or time for fish, so the fish will just have to stay in Peru. We have vowed to not keep fish here. But there is one new killifish I sure would like to go back and collect. :drool:

Images don't need to be fed! Do you know the American Flagfish?

What cold weather?? It's spring time in NY.

terrestrial_man said:
I went by and saw my final client (I am a retired accountant) and his shop was COLD!

Jerry let's trade. :poke: I just started in the profession ummmm...well technically full time about 3 months ago and interning for over a year cause i didn't want to let go off college life.

Actually.. It's in the upper 40's today and going into the 50's in NYC. I often ask people in other parts what the weather is because I think we're really screwing up the environment. And I don't give a F@(k about cycles and ice age... this global warming thing is going to have us underwater if we don't shape up. :mad:

NYEric said:
Actually.. It's in the upper 40's today and going into the 50's in NYC. I often ask people in other parts what the weather is because I think we're really screwing up the environment. And I don't give a F@(k about cycles and ice age... this global warming thing is going to have us underwater if we don't shape up. :mad:

Hey Waterworld! Great movie!

I am not so much worried about global warming as I am about idiot humanity polluting the oceans so much that all the fish die and I have nothing to feed my cats because they won't eat anything that doesn't reek like tuna!

Aw nuts! Work!!

Marco said:
What cold weather?? It's spring time in NY.

Jerry let's trade. :poke: I just started in the profession ummmm...well technically full time about 3 months ago and interning for over a year cause i didn't want to let go off college life.

I take it that you have gone to college with a business major or an econ major? Working for a CPA corporation?

Believe it or not, my college major went from bio to environmental bio to botany. I had no desire to work as an accountant but events more or less dictated my option.
I just finished up a web-journal on the business,
Copeland's Bookkeeping and Income Tax Service, which I posted as a tribute to my parents. I have a banner to the journal on my first page after the cover page of art that I did using this machine. It is at
http://jsionline.freeservers.com/
As you will learn, I learned the trade by doing it!

Latest posts

Back