Check my Blooming Blog for a few pictures of Alaska, and orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Anchorage Society is a dedicated group of just under 80 members. I would say 25 to 30 are close enough to Anchorage that they show up regularly. They are mostly under-lights growers, though I was surprised at the number of greenhouses I saw while touring. In the greenhouses you must supplement light in the dead of winter, so all the greenhouses have HP lighting or LED lighting. In winter they get to 5 hours a day of weak light. BUT in summer they get up to 19 hours of light. Kinda crazy. I'm still in Anchorage today. Won't head back until Monday. Weather has been sunny and warm, around 20 F or warmer every day. Tomorrow the Iditarod Starts !!!!!
Leo

I take credit for suggesting Leo post some pix. :) Thanks Bud, looks like a blast!

-Ernie

Yep, Ernie did encourage me to post while on the road. It is fun, though it is hard making time for SlipperTalk, there is so much to do. Tonight is my last night. Visited Wayne, another Anchorage OS member and under lights grower. He also uses LED lights. I am liking the low wattage they seem to use. They are visually disturbing, all red and blue, but seem to work well. I am going to try and get a couple of the Anchorage growers to join SlipperTalk. They have valuable insights to under lights growing.
Leo

Leo, in your photo of Mt. Illeana, are those all sundogs in the sky? That's wild!

Hi Heather, those are reflections on the restaurant window which I was shooting through. So those weren't sun dogs. I did not look close at the picture. I do have other shots of Illiana with no extra layers of glass in between.

The weather has been pleasant winter weather, daytime highs in the upper teens to mid twenties F, with the nights being about 15 degrees F lower. This is a bit warmer than Chicago weather was when I left. We have had no snow to speak of in Anchorage area, there is constant light snow falling in the pass between Anchorage area and Kenai Peninsula. Along the pass the snow was at least 15 or 20 feet deep, piled on either side of the road. Lots of Avalanche areas, no stopping your car, as the sound of a car door slamming could get you buried alive. For some reason I felt less threatened by potential Avalanches than I would by Car-Jackers in some parts of Chicago. Travel has its risks.

Fabulous place, I want to visit again, this next time after snow has melted.
Leo

Latest posts

Back