chc supplements

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsie

Reaction score
Recently I came upon a product that was recommended for anyone using coconut husk chips for potting medium. I don't remember the name or where I saw it. I read the info and didn't pay it any thought. Well, now it is sticking with me. So I am a bit concerned (need a smilie pulling its hair out!).

Since I do use the chc a lot in my potting mixes, I am wondering if something like this is necessary. Anyone else seen this product? Any thoughts?

I rinse my chc several times and add other ingredients to the medium.

My paph mix and rough ratios are as follows:

Chc 50%
Perlite 20%
Charcoal 20%
Spagnum moss 10%

I also add a small scoop of oyster shell and silica sand.

Some folks rinse their chc with an additive to adjust ph. I dont use it but I do add a bit of physan 20 dissolved in water to sterilize the mix...it kills most viruses and pathogens and reduces the potential for excessive mold growth.

I use chc rinsed several times and mix it with large perlite, charcoal, sphagnum moss. I fertilize with 25-10-10 and alternate with 2 other fertilizer 15-30-15 and 20-20-20. I also use Calmag from time to time and also kelp fertilizer.

I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a rinse. rePotme has a product called Quantum Orchid. A probiotic for orchids. Anyone tried it yet? Anyone heard of it?

I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a rinse. rePotme has a product called Quantum Orchid. A probiotic for orchids. Anyone tried it yet? Anyone heard of it?

They do not give any clue about what their product actually contains.
Based on that lack of transparent labeling I would not consider it.
Sewer sludge could also fit their claims. :(

Based on their statements there is no benefit that should lead to it being a product that solves any specific CHC problems. Generally CHC benefits from soaking in calcium Nitrate and Epsom salts to remove excess Sodium and Potassium.

It may very well be a product that enhances plant growth but no way to evaluate it unless we know what is in it or try it.

Do folks periodically add Epsom Salt, diluted in water, to reduce salt (originally present or accumulated over time) ?

If so, can you provide recommended rate of application, e.g. tsp/gallon or mg/ litre?

Thanks!

Do folks periodically add Epsom Salt, diluted in water, to reduce salt (originally present or accumulated over time) ?

If so, can you provide recommended rate of application, e.g. tsp/gallon or mg/ litre?

Thanks!

The idea is to use Calcium and Magnesium to replace Sodium and Potassium in the CHC before you use it. The same process as recharging a water softener. I gave the link in a post above to the process designed by Antec.

You don't use epsom salts periodically to reduce salts. You use it to supply magnesium.

Latest posts

Back