Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
So, after the Slipper Chat at Orchidboard last week, Lien suggested we get a chat going over here. After much deliberation between the co-admins over drinks yesterday afternoon (;) ) we've decided that the board chat function is a little unruly and rather that if we wish to chat, IM is the way to go. We had a little impromptu 4-way last night and it seemed to work pretty well.

So, if you have the capability and desire, you can add your IM address to your profile.

And if you don't have the capability but you do have the desire, go set one up.
I think it is pretty easy to do if you have one of the standard formats: AIM, MSN, Yahoo, or Skype (no idea about that last one). I'm on a mac and you need a .mac account to use theirs (which works the same as AIM), but you can get a free trial for 60 days at mac.com if you are a mac user and set it up in iChat. I don't know how it works with PCs but mac users can actually audio chat, which is kind of fun too. Perhaps someone who has set it up for a PC can assist anyone who has any trouble with it on that end.

adiaphane

Reaction score
Does that mean we are going to have a designated chat night over here, too? That might help as some people are too shy to IM someone on their own (me, I'm terribly shy). Or, we can have an anouncement thing prior to chat, and have confirmation from those who are going to participate.

Does that make any sense?

I need to sleep some more.

P

PHRAG

While I am not forcing you to choose this option, AOL instant messenger is the program we all used last night. I have MSN messenger and AOL messenger now, and I greatly prefer AOL messenger of the two. It is a free download.

As for scheduling chats. Last night was impromptu just to see if it would work, and it did. So I would imagine a scheduled chat would be the best way to include a larger number of people. If this sounds good to you all, let us know.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
adiaphane said:
Does that make any sense?
Yup!

I don't know what it looks like from AIM, but from my side, I can generally see who is available and when, so if we started seeing a few people were around and available, we could always start it up, or post about starting it up.

I'm the same way though, I always have issues "pinging" people - I'm always afraid of interupting something. :rolleyes:

Latest posts