charlesworthii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cdub

I have a nice multigrowth plant hanging out on my grow shelf with my other paphs. I've had it about 2.5 years now, and not only does it grow relatively slowly but it has never bloomed. It looks healthy, nice and light green. The leaf span is just shy of 20 cm. I know this is supposedly not the time of year for bloom, but I'm about to throw in the towel with this one.

I've heard many comments such as "very easy to grow and bloom" and "easy to grow in a standard paph mix." Is there anything else I should try? I've heard the species likes a sharp swing in temperature from day to night, and it gets that, but still no blooms.

Any hints?

I find that Paph charlesworthii is a bit of a slow grower and that it needs to get multiple growths to bloom well. It blooms in the fall when the temperatures drop and can handle pretty cool conditions as long as it isn't wet. My guess is that your plant is primed to bloom soon. 2 1/2 years is not a major wait for most paph species, be happy that it isn't Paph adductum or Paph emersonii.

This one shouldn't be a problem. Try upping the light and add a top dress of oyster shell. Normal blooming time is late fall for mine.

dont throw in the towel! keep it! it will reward you. i have hirsutissimums that had to put on like a dozen growths to flower. i keep my charlesworthii's in an intermediate location and grow them bright. i think they benefit from drying out a bit after growths have matured in the winter too.

Temperature drop during the night (50-60F or 13-16°C) should be appreciated by the species. Mine has not bloomed for 1 & 1/2 year, but it was a single growth plant, and now 4 new growths (2 mature that should bloom in fall)

Thanks for the help people. I guess I'll keep at it, add a little oyster shell, and see what happens.:)

I have found this species fustrighting as well my best plant is a little seedling that has been growing very well. Compared to an older four growth division I bought from some awhile ago.

Latest posts

Back