Chameleon babies

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely panther there.

I had chameleons (panther and Jackson) many years ago and they were easy to take care of. Fed daily or every 2 days was fine. They are pretty shy and get very stressed if not ‘socialized’ but they are fascinating to observe.

I did have caretakers come to feed them every 2-3 days (and change water) while I was away on trips. It was easy for them to follow instructions.

I think with pets and orchids, you need to just figure out a system while away. One can make it easy or very complicated lol.

Bad analogy: There are geraniums and pothos, and there are orchids. Some things are very easy (just water once a week, fertilize whenever) and some things are more involved to do them right (native habitats, photoperiod, dry seasons, fertilizer PPMs and dissolved solids, etc.).

Chameleons are not 'beginner' pets IMO. Every year 100s/1000s of chameleons are sold to people that think a 5 gallon aquarium, a water dish, and mealworms in a dish or disgusting store-bought crickets that have been cannibalizing their dead brethren for weeks, are all you need. And nearly all of those chameleons - mostly babies - are dead within a couple of months.

To do chameleons correctly IMO you need to 'farm' the insects you feed them by properly feeding your feeders oranges, collards, apples, grains - the healthier your feeders, the healthier your chams. You need specialized lighting if you can't provide natural sunlight. You need misters/vaporizers for humidity. You need drippers for water. Once you get everything set up and working for a while, yes they are 'easy' -er.

I have raised 5-6 species of feeder insects. I have bought thousands of crickets/mealworms/superworms per month. I have cared for and bred 3 species of Old World Chameleons. Eventually my allergies to the feeders took over and I had to stop.

Maybe I should have used the phrase 'labor intensive' instead of 'full time job'.

YMMV

Anybody can complicate anything to the point of nonsense if they wish to, mine are very easy, I keep them with my orchids, they both, plants & chams thrive, their cages cost me 65.00 I make my own...For some people keeping a cham takes having a phd in biology, then go ahead and be that person

Anybody can complicate anything to the point of nonsense if they wish to, mine are very easy, I keep them with my orchids, they both, plants & chams thrive, their cages cost me 65.00 I make my own...For some people keeping a cham takes having a phd in biology, then go ahead and be that person
Removed my long winded comments, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm just excited about setting up. Yeah, I usually science the sh** out of things. parameters parameters parameters.

Bad analogy: There are geraniums and pothos, and there are orchids. Some things are very easy (just water once a week, fertilize whenever) and some things are more involved to do them right (native habitats, photoperiod, dry seasons, fertilizer PPMs and dissolved solids, etc.).

Chameleons are not 'beginner' pets IMO. Every year 100s/1000s of chameleons are sold to people that think a 5 gallon aquarium, a water dish, and mealworms in a dish or disgusting store-bought crickets that have been cannibalizing their dead brethren for weeks, are all you need. And nearly all of those chameleons - mostly babies - are dead within a couple of months.

To do chameleons correctly IMO you need to 'farm' the insects you feed them by properly feeding your feeders oranges, collards, apples, grains - the healthier your feeders, the healthier your chams. You need specialized lighting if you can't provide natural sunlight. You need misters/vaporizers for humidity. You need drippers for water. Once you get everything set up and working for a while, yes they are 'easy' -er.

I have raised 5-6 species of feeder insects. I have bought thousands of crickets/mealworms/superworms per month. I have cared for and bred 3 species of Old World Chameleons. Eventually my allergies to the feeders took over and I had to stop.

Maybe I should have used the phrase 'labor intensive' instead of 'full time job'.

YMMV
I would like to pick your brain on this.. I tried to PM you, maybe you have this disabled?

Back