Central Park

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
We are having such beautiful weather in the past two days, a nice break from the heat wave.

Sharing some photos I took in the park.

I love the first photo. The shape and colors on the center of the cone flower really catch my eyes! Honey bee on it also is a nice addition. :)

O6vUv8sh.jpg

Bumble bee? There was a small metallic green colored bee but it flew away before I was able to snap a shot of it. Oh, well...Maybe some other time.

OCvQCdzh.jpg

kbp9nXCh.jpg

Something creepy was eating the flower bit by bit.

yYT9DAdh.jpg

Hemerocallis in full bloom. I think these came here from Asia.
I know they are native in my home country.

8eZOCw3h.jpg

Terrible quality, but I was excited to spot a make wood duck napping next to a group of mallards.

A8uht8Dh.jpg

I needed to see this open water and clear my mind for a moment.
Sweet scent of Linden in the breeze is also helping! :)

xFZRdxvh.jpg

Wild type Hydrangea. Then my phone ran out of battery and couldn't take photos of Linden blossoms and others.

oFBiCB8h.jpg

I don't think so. Haven't heard anything about it. City people would go nuts over it! Lots of dog walkers and sun bathers lying on the grass and everywhere else peacefully today as usual.

I thought it is mainly spread by deer carrying certain ticks.

We've got a major tick problem here this year and it's
been fatal for four children. Apparently, there's a new
disease caused by tick bites and there's very little information available currently. Lyme disease is relatively
rare here, so the new information is disquieting.

Lovely photos hp. Central is a very nice place to escape
the noise and bustle of NYC.

Ouch. Yes two years ago I heard about a nasty variant of a tick borne disease worse than Lyme disease and doesn't make the bullseye Lyme ticks do, so very sneaky. It was first 'realized' somewhere mid Hudson River area and who knows where else. Hard to treat something with generic early symptoms achy and feverish
Some areas the ticks don't bother me but flying buyers do. Other spots they crawl all over me

Here's a good tick repellant you can make yourself when
you're out tramping about. In a quart bottle, six drops of
lemon grass oil, six drops of pepperment oil and however
much eucalyptus oil you care to add. Add water. Spray it liberally and often. It works quite well on deer flies and other such obnoxious critters too. Piping Rock has the best oils at the best prices I've been able to find.

We've got a major tick problem here this year and it's
been fatal for four children. Apparently, there's a new
disease caused by tick bites and there's very little information available currently. Lyme disease is relatively
rare here, so the new information is disquieting.

Lovely photos hp. Central is a very nice place to escape
the noise and bustle of NYC.

Yes, it is. I love the fact that we have this large green space in the middle of the city with birds and all.

I just wish there were less people and no horse (all the poop all over the street and the smell!!!!).

rodents also host them

Yikes! Rats are everywhere in the city and the park!

I always wonder how Americans just lay down on the grass without blankets.
No fear! lol I don't mean potential risk of picking up a disease organism but it just is dirty as grass field in the park is often badly damaged and the grass are not packed in enough leaving the patches of bare ground here and there.

Speaking of people laying down on the grass, in Korea, people stopped picnicking on the grass even with the blanket (Koreans almost always do) after a outbreak of hemorrhagic fever carried by rats and mice.
I remember being in total shock watching news about it. Once in your body, you will show the symptom typical of common cold, and then start having sever fever and die from bleeding. terrible way of dying! and there was no vaccine or cure.
No one ever sits on the grass since then.

I don't ever sit on grass here, either. Life long trauma, I guess.

Ouch. Yes two years ago I heard about a nasty variant of a tick borne disease worse than Lyme disease and doesn't make the bullseye Lyme ticks do, so very sneaky. It was first 'realized' somewhere mid Hudson River area and who knows where else. Hard to treat something with generic early symptoms achy and feverish
Some areas the ticks don't bother me but flying buyers do. Other spots they crawl all over me

It is scary because the symptom can be easily just ignored for something else.

Powassan virus is what you meant?
I just read about it the other day.

Here's a good tick repellant you can make yourself when
you're out tramping about. In a quart bottle, six drops of
lemon grass oil, six drops of pepperment oil and however
much eucalyptus oil you care to add. Add water. Spray it liberally and often. It works quite well on deer flies and other such obnoxious critters too. Piping Rock has the best oils at the best prices I've been able to find.

Isn't covering up (long socks and pants, long sleeves...) the best protection? I mean it is not easy to cover up in the heat of summer.
I guess it is best to just stay away from wooded area.

God help us all! Be afraid of everything, please :rollhappy:

One thing is certain, you are going to die. I think that famous surgeon general's message on cigarette packages should have read, "the surgeon general has determined that being born is hazardous to your health". I don't say this in jest.

Lie on the lawn, enjoy the flowers, walk in the woods, pop a cold one... if that is what you want to do.

Now I have to get to Central Park in summer just so I can roll around in the grass! :D:rollhappy:

I know, but I can't help it!

I also am very afraid of not seeing my feet, so I don't ever walk into area with tall grasses. Mainly snakes and bugs. lol

There are nearly no wildlife other than some harmless birds and rats, yuck! I did see a racoon taking a bag of lunch from a visitor last week. First time seeing one in person.

I still enjoy the park very much.

Latest posts

Back