Cattleya warscewiczii f. Sanderiana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioQ

Reaction score
I purchased it in 2018. May 2020 it flowered with very weird 3 flowers, I tought it was a disease or virus. But in Mérida (Mexico) May is 40 celsius! I brought it to Xalapa (mild climate) April 2021. Blooming now it is terrific! I doubt if it is Sanderiana, I read Sanderiana is from mid-Summer. Ecuagenera tagged it as Sanderiana.
But I don’t complaint, it is a wonderful flower (7 inches), the color is so pleasant, the “marmorata” lip so interesting and it has a lovely hyacinth fragrance...
Enjoy it with me!

Attachments

• E69E4262-B713-4872-9FEA-30B0BE5D1EE3.jpeg
    E69E4262-B713-4872-9FEA-30B0BE5D1EE3.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 34
  • A623C589-A751-42AF-9B89-1168634277BC.jpeg
    A623C589-A751-42AF-9B89-1168634277BC.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 35
Congrats on getting this to bloom, it's lovely! I have yet to get flowers on mine, lots of empty sheaths though!

I purchased it in 2018. May 2020 it flowered with very weird 3 flowers, I tought it was a disease or virus. But in Mérida (Mexico) May is 40 celsius! I brought it to Xalapa (mild climate) April 2021. Blooming now it is terrific! I doubt if it is Sanderiana, I read Sanderiana is from mid-Summer. Ecuagenera tagged it as Sanderiana.
But I don’t complaint, it is a wonderful flower (7 inches), the color is so pleasant, the “marmorata” lip so interesting and it has a lovely hyacinth fragrance...
Enjoy it with me!
My reading of Chadwick's "The Classic Cattleyas" says "There are two major types of Cattleya warscewiczii. One of these blooms from late June into early July in green houses in the United States and has pseudobulbs about 8 inches tall. Cattleya warscewiczii 'Firmin Lambeau', 'Frau Melanie Beyrodt', and the lavender Imperialis forms belong in this group. The other major type blooms from mid-late July and has taller pseudobulbs with larger flowers and larger, darker lips. The Sanderiana forms of C. warscewiczii are in this second group."

So, coloration is not a factor in this distinction. We would need to know how tall the pseudobulb is, when it bloomed and under what conditions. The flower looks large enough and maybe the lip is also.

I think you may be able to label it Cattlye warscewiczii forma Sanderiana, realizing this says much more than the coloration of the flower. It is a very pretty flower and immediately spotted as warscewiczii.

My reading of Chadwick's "The Classic Cattleyas" says "There are two major types of Cattleya warscewiczii. One of these blooms from late June into early July in green houses in the United States and has pseudobulbs about 8 inches tall. Cattleya warscewiczii 'Firmin Lambeau', 'Frau Melanie Beyrodt', and the lavender Imperialis forms belong in this group. The other major type blooms from mid-late July and has taller pseudobulbs with larger flowers and larger, darker lips. The Sanderiana forms of C. warscewiczii are in this second group."

So, coloration is not a factor in this distinction. We would need to know how tall the pseudobulb is, when it bloomed and under what conditions. The flower looks large enough and maybe the lip is also.

I think you may be able to label it Cattlye warscewiczii forma Sanderiana, realizing this says much more than the coloration of the flower. It is a very pretty flower and immediately spotted as warscewiczii.

Thanks for your lines! The pseudobulbs were taller when I purchased, but when stabilizing they get shorter, but they are already improving. I notice that the Sanderianas have more sculptural lips, wide and exuberant, I mean that they are not round and flat as in the "tipo", but in fact towards the area of the "eyes", as if they are jumped. Excuse my English... I can't explain it... Sanderianas have a dramatic shape and "allure". I know it is a subjective appreciation... I will select pics to show my point of view...

Thanks again!

Slight tangent:. Has anyone ever been able to even approach Chadwick's boast for the maximum flower size and count for this species, which he says is 30cm and 10 per spike? Because I think he's full of it lol.

Back