Cattleya warneri coerulea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warneris have one of the largest cattleya flowers of the species (next to mossiaes), up to 20 cm (around 8 inches) in natural spread. Although they don’t have the full round petals of the hybrids, they make it up with their delicate colouring and fragrance.

One of my favourite of the genera, warneris are unique in that it is one of the few large flowered unifoliates that bloom in the summer (along with late mossiaes and dowianas).

Here is my warneri coerulea in full bloom, about 20 cm in natural spread. It is a 3rd year blooming of a selfing of warneri ‘Do Suzuki’ AM/AOS. Usually with two flowers, but this year only one 😔.

406628E1-A0B0-4E17-97F4-C6973C1E8E7E.jpegE64E1943-F0B1-421D-A442-1897349EE84C.jpeg

Thanks all!

The colour of the ‘blues’ are so unusual in that it can appear really blue in certain lights esp northern exposures.

Looking closer at the stance of the flower, it does look like a welcoming gesture to hug. I will call her ‘Big Momma’!

Warneris have one of the largest cattleya flowers of the species (next to mossiaes), up to 20 cm (around 8 inches) in natural spread. Although they don’t have the full round petals of the hybrids, they make it up with their delicate colouring and fragrance.

One of my favourite of the genera, warneris are unique in that it is one of the few large flowered unifoliates that bloom in the summer (along with late mossiaes and dowianas).

Here is my warneri coerulea in full bloom, about 20 cm in natural spread. It is a 3rd year blooming of a selfing of warneri ‘Do Suzuki’ AM/AOS. Usually with two flowers, but this year only one 😔.

View attachment 20682View attachment 20683
For both size and colour, it's wonderful!

Beautifull flower, Les! 😋

Then somebody needs some more space! I will have to stick with Walkerianas for the moment! 😉
Isn't that the mire we have as orchid parents and hoarders? Never enough space.

Although I must say the footprint for a well grown warnei is 6 inch pot only. They have tight PB.

Might one ask for measurements for PB, leaves, and the pot....albeit in the metric system for this continental cretin?

Kind regards,
Jens
I had to look for the plant lol. Thought I lost it in the growing area. Luckily I found it.

Pot 15 cm
PB 10-12 cm
Leaves 18-20 cm long x 5-7 cm wide

Latest posts

Back