Cattleya warneri albescent ‘Dona Lourdes’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favourite colour form just opened! The pure white lip with green throat contrasts nicely with the light pink blush of the tepals. Simply divine!

NS 14 cm
Petals 8 x 5 cm
Dorsal 7 x 2 cm
Lip 4 x 7 cm

1AD6A754-12D0-4D0E-A789-BE25DF6A9745.jpeg6C6986DD-AC92-4577-80E5-C3AE26F08FCB.jpeg895577CA-0B26-4602-A90A-7EB0B4DD202E.jpeg1D9BD39D-DD50-4E95-96B9-604BC0B6C887.jpegB8AAC271-C1B1-4574-ACCA-AA949D5212AA.jpeg78D7CB91-1A30-48D9-8911-4F1F93005F98.jpeg5A1B530F-2584-40C6-BF75-DF38941FD5C7.jpeg22DA2F0F-ECD3-4D8D-A10D-033F1B7546A7.jpeg

Here you can see the semi water culture with the three layers and water tray. You can see most roots are inside. Bottom inch LECA clay pellets, middle orchiata bark/perlite/charcoal mix, and top NZ moss. Sits in water for 2 days, dries 1-2 days and then water again.

It was imported from Brazil last November and established fast in this method to bloom within the year.

Fun fact: this colour combination exists in only one other species, mendelii albescent!

Oh Leslie, now I need an exact definition of albescen. I have always known is different from alba, but your plant tells me that albescent might only pertain to a lip?
Albescent means an almost white flower with a flush of very light color like pink or light lavender (even light coerulea) in any or all floral parts. The pink can be in lip, petals or sepals.

The albescent form in different species can vary.

In warneri, it’s used for white lip with light pink blush in sepals and petals.

In labiata, it’s a white flower with a blush pink lip. Or a very light pink flower with a light pink to white lip.

In amethystoglossa, it’s a white flower with a small blush pink area in the lip.

And so on.

The degree of separation between albescent and concolor can be very subjective.

Last edited:
🤯 My world just grew a little bigger, never heard of albescent before. It’s a stunner. Is this difficult to source aside from importing from Brazil? Would you be able to share the nursery name? I’ll have to start the search probably like many others on the thread 🧐Thanks for sharing, love it.

Albescent means an almost white flower with a flush of very light color like pink or light lavender (even light coerulea) in any or all floral parts. The pink can be in lip, petals or sepals.

The albescent form in different species can vary.

In warneri, it’s used for white lip with light pink blush in sepals and petals.

In labiata, it’s a white flower with a blush pink lip. Or a very light pink flower with a light pink to white lip.

In amethystoglossa, it’s a white flower with a small blush pink area in the lip.

And so on.

The degree of separation between albescent and concolor can be very subjective.
But the definition of alba with each species doesn’t vary?

🤯 My world just grew a little bigger, never heard of albescent before. It’s a stunner. Is this difficult to source aside from importing from Brazil? Would you be able to share the nursery name? I’ll have to start the search probably like many others on the thread 🧐Thanks for sharing, love it.
This form is not easy to source BUT good news!!! Alex from AWZ has many seedlings that he brings to US through Ron Kaufman. They ship to US periodically so ask them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back