Cattleya warneri albescent ‘Dona Lourdes’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But the definition of alba with each species doesn’t vary?
No, they don't vary between species.

All albas must follow these rules:

1. flowers must be pure white with no hint of pink anywhere especially when backlit
2. lip can have only yellow/green/orange striations and no hints of red/pink (front and back)
3. for some, plant vegetative parts cannot have red anthocyanins (sheaths, leaves, bulbs)

Really nice, looks like a watercolor. I got Santa Teresa import about 5 months ago through a German nursery, it was a bit of a struggle getting it going (it had no roots at all) but it's looking good now. Maybe another 2 years to flowering. If its anything like as nice as this one I will be well pleased:)

Really nice, looks like a watercolor. I got Santa Teresa import about 5 months ago through a German nursery, it was a bit of a struggle getting it going (it had no roots at all) but it's looking good now. Maybe another 2 years to flowering. If its anything like as nice as this one I will be well pleased:)
I think the shape of Santa Teresa is fuller.
Both are wild collected plants based on legends lol.
Good luck on it and please update progress!

Lol… please define ‘douche’?
No water involved here, Leslie! 😁

But it turns out, that Yours truly has made a minor language faux-pas, as I use a word, that has slept since the days of Middle English, where it meant "sweet, pleasant, from Anglo-French, from feminine of duz, douz, from latin dulcis, sweet" (Merriam-Webster).
In Danish we have douce as a loanword, most likely from French, to characterize colours, that are soft, pastel like, almost soothing. I thought the word had a parallel use in English, and it was in this sense, that I found it very well characterized your beautiful flower! 🥰

Last edited:
No water involved here, Leslie! 😁

But it turns out, that Yours truly has made a minor language faux-pas, as I use a word, that has slept since the days of Middle English, where it meant "sweet, pleasant, from Anglo-French, from feminine of duz, douz, from latin dulcis, sweet" (Merriam-Webster).
In Danish we have douce as a loanword, most likely from French, to characterize colours, that are soft, pastel like, almost soothing. I thought the word had a parallel use in English, and it was in this sense, that I found it very well characterized your beautiful flower! 🥰
Simply lost in translation and cleared very well by your beautiful explanations!

Dolce also is very similar (emotional/sweet) for musical terms, I saw online that dolce may be Italian musical; English borrows from many European languages as probably musical terms, and the two words are spelled almost the same.
In any language, these and your other coloratum orchids are fantastic! I’m sure they are highly sought after and very expensive!

Latest posts

Back