Cattleya walkeriana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have had this plant for several years. Being terrified of repotting at the wrong time, I started simply placing it in a larger clay pot instead of actually repotting it. Then another clay pot. And here it is today. About 6 pounds of terracotta pots and plant.
The back of the plant is also blooming.

20200218_210243.jpg

The challenge now is the size and space it takes up. I grow under lights in the winter. it would take up an entire tray if I put it under the lights, where it would be happiest. Right now it is sitting by the sliding glass door. Thankfully it gets southern exposure. Not that that carries a lot of weight in Cleveland winters.

You feel my pain. I have learned my lesson. The pot in a pot works great but there comes a time when dividing is necessary to manage the weight of the plant. When it grows like this, I don't know where to start. It will be looking for a new home this year.

I have had this plant for several years. Being terrified of repotting at the wrong time, I started simply placing it in a larger clay pot instead of actually repotting it. Then another clay pot. And here it is today. About 6 pounds of terracotta pots and plant. I suppose you’ll have to wire the new plants in place somehow.
The back of the plant is also blooming.

View attachment 18386

The challenge now is the size and space it takes up. I grow under lights in the winter. it would take up an entire tray if I put it under the lights, where it would be happiest. Right now it is sitting by the sliding glass door. Thankfully it gets southern exposure. Not that that carries a lot of weight in Cleveland winters.
Amazing. Did you fill in new mix between the pot layers? Or just empty pots? It would be cool to see a video or photo series of you taking this big bad plant apart.

Support will be nice, but a good hammer and a deep
breath is really all that's required. If you soak the whole
shebang in warm water, the damage will be acceptable.
Most of the very old roots probably won't be actively
growing anyway.

Latest posts

Back