Cattleya walkeriana rubra Lives!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally, I am able to bloom a walkeriana rubra. This species has been one of two Achilles weakness that I have (other is the dowiana). I used Fred’s method of LECA expanded clay pellets in a shallow clay pot. Watering it twice a week in warm temperature, slightly cooler nights in winter. It’s in high light now but I may reduce the lighting as leaves tend to yellow here. Bulbs do look a bit dehydrated as it’s coming out of winter rest. Hopefully they plump up in summer. I’m just happy about the root growth.

The shape is incredible, almost round but very flat. Circular petals and no windowing. The colour is a smooth dark lavender. A selected division from Brazil. Haven’t detected a fragrance yet as it just opened.

I named it ‘Miles Away’ for now. Might consider other names lol.

NS 9 cm.

What, though, are those little white thingies, visible in the central parts of the flower - they have a scaring likeness to very small mealybugs (🤯) , but I hope, they are only remnants of padding material from transportation (😏) !

I thought they were light reflecting off drops of water, though I could be wrong.

Hear, hear! 😊

What, though, are those little white thingies, visible in the central parts of the flower - they have a scaring likeness to very small mealybugs (🤯) , but I hope, they are only remnants of padding material from transportation (😏) !
Those are water droplets from spraying. I haven’t moved that plant for 1.5-2 years from that location lol.

Those are water droplets from spraying. I haven’t moved that plant for 1.5-2 years from that location lol.
I can of course see the water droplets, you goon 😉 But when did water look like small pieces of cotton? Enlarge the central part of the third photo, and come back and tell me once more, that what I see is WATER! Might of course be remnants of pesticide or fertilizer - although, the latter option would be more plausible, if you feed your plants with milk! 😁

I can of course see the water droplets, you goon 😉 But when did water look like small pieces of cotton? Enlarge the central part of the third photo, and come back and tell me once more, that what I see is WATER! Might of course be remnants of pesticide or fertilizer - although, the latter option would be more plausible, if you feed your plants with milk! 😁
Let’s see if you see in these dry flower photos lol. I certainly don’t 🤔. Hope I’m not going blind 🤔.

F4DC9935-A038-4B9C-89B6-7EBA4CD01EF3.jpeg63A93E73-93F5-44D9-A310-654A5D20F700.jpegEBB7C582-9F7D-4D6C-A95C-243CF5E83C1B.jpegEA6BD8A8-F14B-4438-AAA3-4EF4474CF351.jpeg

love this...

looks like 1 parent is 'primogenita', can you post the other? or just a picture of the label (whatever is easiest)

your post just cost me 90$ :) Francisco just got some new plants in. and walk. 'Rubra' was on the list... when i saw it i thought hmmm.... then seeing yours clinched it!... 2 @ 45$ each

thus begins the chase for nice walkeriana's

oh well we could be drinking at a strip club while betting (and loosing) on football.
> this seems like a better choice.

Last edited:
You definitely will get more rewards in the long run by investing in this $90 for these two plants… I think lol.

The cross is Primogenita x Rubra.

A86C37F2-098B-40D8-9462-48F92924E928.jpeg

PS. Francisco knows about this plant and likes the shape as I sent pics to him for verification of rubra status.

PSS. I’m pretty comfortable now as an enabler to this addiction (as Deb can attest to lol).

Latest posts

Back