Cattleya velutina

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a tough one to grow for me. Do you have any culture advise?

Naoki, According to Braem, velutina grows together with warneri and schilleriana in Espirito Santo (and schofieldiana and probably tenebrosa too).
I know from personal experience that warneri and schilleriana start their new growths in autumn and grow slowly over winter. No doubt velutina is the same. (I had one many years ago but lost it) Therefore we need to pay close attention to it at this time and provide water and nutrients even though most other things are sleeping. It also follows that after flowering, new roots are produced (during summer) and then perhaps a short rest before starting again. It is possible that I gave too much water to mine in late summer when it was slowing down it's growth and this is the hottest time of the year here so you tend to soak everything every day then.
If I ever get another one I will be more careful.

Naoki, According to Braem, velutina grows together with warneri and schilleriana in Espirito Santo (and schofieldiana and probably tenebrosa too).
I know from personal experience that warneri and schilleriana start their new growths in autumn and grow slowly over winter. No doubt velutina is the same. (I had one many years ago but lost it) Therefore we need to pay close attention to it at this time and provide water and nutrients even though most other things are sleeping. It also follows that after flowering, new roots are produced (during summer) and then perhaps a short rest before starting again. It is possible that I gave too much water to mine in late summer when it was slowing down it's growth and this is the hottest time of the year here so you tend to soak everything every day then.
If I ever get another one I will be more careful.

Thanks for the insight, Mike! It is very helpful.

Latest posts

Back