Cattleya Triumphans

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All, I wanted to share this next blooming of Triumphans with 3 blooms and in natural light. Last May of 2022, there were only two blooms and I destroyed the flowers soon after they opened accessing the pollen. I immediately sent the pollen over to William Green of @My Green Pets. And he was able to cross it onto Cattleya rex 'Inti' HCC/AOS. I believe the pod was viable, maybe William can comment on their status. Looking forward to these seedlings.

760DD8D7-2A9F-4FBF-B19B-372E7A1BB411.jpegEACA13B9-0F4F-4203-97C6-413C6A6D635C.jpegEB8FC084-3A17-4782-BDCA-581658FC1785.jpeg

Pete and Terry, the colouration of the lip(s) of your flower(s) are pure insanity. 👌
I couldn't have put it better myself! 😍

Though first saw your update of today after posting the above. This is definitely 'the best of both worlds' (as XXX bi-movies were announced in my younger days 😁 Please, bear with my sordid humor!).

Last edited:
Wonderful photos, Pete! I feel this flower crossed back onto rex might result in a super rex of sorts. We will see, the latest update from the lab was on April 26, "The seed are starting to be green protocorms". So fingers crossed.

We think that John Stanton of Orchid Trail made the most recently available remake of this vintage, important primary hybrid. His cross was (rex 'Imperialis' x dowiana var. aurea). He sold flasks to other growers like Orchids Limited, where I purchased mine. The AOS awarded Keith Davis for a plant from this cross in 2012.

My plant has bloomed every May for the last five years. Here is a picture from my current flowering with three flowers.

View attachment 34368
Mine also does not open fully but I don't think either parent opens fully either. This is an early step on the way to yellow hybrids, so this is never a vibrant yellow. But, the contrast between the lip and some preservation of yellow in the petals and sepals was an important breakthrough.

I have received a little more info to add to this background, I’m adding all the details here for future reference.

I posted a picture of this 2023 bloom on a FB Group (Cattleya dowiana & descendencia). A group member contacted me, they also picked up this cross from Orchid Trail. I discovered that there were two different crosses John made, and this member has both clones.

The first one is the cross we share:
Cattleya rex 'Imperial' X C. aurea 'Orchid Trail' #10258, the tag on my plant posted here has a hand written tag with the #10258.

Here is the the original label from the person on the FB group:
97ACC4D5-A413-4880-9207-B7659CC31246.jpeg

Then there was a second cross made by Orchid Trail, but I have less info on this:
Cattleya rex X C. dowiana 'colchined'

Hi All, I wanted to share this next blooming of Triumphans with 3 blooms and in natural light. Last May of 2022, there were only two blooms and I destroyed the flowers soon after they opened accessing the pollen. I immediately sent the pollen over to William Green of @My Green Pets. And he was able to cross it onto Cattleya rex 'Inti' HCC/AOS. I believe the pod was viable, maybe William can comment on their status. Looking forward to these seedlings.

View attachment 40373View attachment 40374View attachment 40375
Gosh, Pete, this is stunning!! You must be very happy with it. Kudos!!

I have received a little more info to add to this background, I’m adding all the details here for future reference.

I posted a picture of this 2023 bloom on a FB Group (Cattleya dowiana & descendencia). A group member contacted me, they also picked up this cross from Orchid Trail. I discovered that there were two different crosses John made, and this member has both clones.

The first one is the cross we share:
Cattleya rex 'Imperial' X C. aurea 'Orchid Trail' #10258, the tag on my plant posted here has a hand written tag with the #10258.

Here is the the original label from the person on the FB group:
View attachment 40388

Then there was a second cross made by Orchid Trail, but I have less info on this:
Cattleya rex X C. dowiana 'colchined'
Pete, Chadwick's published stuff about Triumphans has this quote:

"Recently, John Stanton from The Orchid Trail in Morrisville, NC produced a particularly nice strain of C Triumphans using the Stewart Orchids stud, C rex ‘Imperialis.’ One of the plants, ‘Summer Moon’, was exhibited by Keith Davis last summer and it received an AM/AOS."

I don't know whether the 'Imperialis' noted by Chadwicks is more accurate for the Stewart plant or the 'Imperial' noted by Orchids Trail on the tag!!

My Triumphans is in bloom again (every May for years in a row) but I think your flower is nicer than mine - wider petals and lip. I have no plans to try and grow a rex, so I am happy to have a reliable primary hybrid with it.

Pete, Chadwick's published stuff about Triumphans has this quote:

"Recently, John Stanton from The Orchid Trail in Morrisville, NC produced a particularly nice strain of C Triumphans using the Stewart Orchids stud, C rex ‘Imperialis.’ One of the plants, ‘Summer Moon’, was exhibited by Keith Davis last summer and it received an AM/AOS."

I don't know whether the 'Imperialis' noted by Chadwicks is more accurate for the Stewart plant or the 'Imperial' noted by Orchids Trail on the tag!!

My Triumphans is in bloom again (every May for years in a row) but I think your flower is nicer than mine - wider petals and lip. I have no plans to try and grow a rex, so I am happy to have a reliable primary hybrid with it.
I also tried to dig into orchidwiz last night, I could not find a mention or pic of rex imperial or imperialis.

Lots of big nurseries have remade this cross in the past couple of years. I know Chadwick and Carter & Holmes both have flasks in the works. H&R released flasks of this made with 4N parents (well, at least the rex parent for sure) a couple of years ago. I am somewhat expecting Ben Oliveros to come out with some dowiana crosses to blow all our minds in the coming years. His dowiana aurea 'You Are My Sunshine' FCC/AOS is unbelievable.

Back