Cattleya trianaei Cashens x self

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a (Cashen's x self) plant I purchased from Orchids Limited a handful of years ago but they did not make the cross. It could have come from a different Cashen's than yours. Mine has bloomed 4 times with pretty consistent flowers. Here is an outdoor photo of the last flowering.

IMG_1930.jpeg

It is more lavender than yours with strong flares. The shuffling of the genes with a selfing can create substantial variability in the offspring. Plants can be better than, about the same, or worse than the plant that was selfed. If our plants came from two different Cashen's that were each mericlones of the original, rather than divisions there would be a further source of genetic variability.

From orchidweb, if it is true, this is the original Cashen's:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-191122_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-191122_Chrome.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 13
I have a Cashenā€™s original and it does have mini flares or pincelada. Itā€™s parents also have flamea genes (Mary Fennel). So flowering flameas in a selfing of Cashenā€™s is within reasonable outcome.

I have a Cashen's mericlone from Carter and Holmes, still a few years from blooming. Big strong grower.

Orchids Limited has just published photos of the first flowers of its percivaliana 'Mendenhall Summit' x trianaei 'Cashen's' and the result is gorgeous, link here.

I have a Cashen's mericlone from Carter and Holmes, still a few years from blooming. Big strong grower.

Orchids Limited has just published photos of the first flowers of its percivaliana 'Mendenhall Summit' x trianaei 'Cashen's' and the result is gorgeous, link here.
When Jerry sent me the picture, I was surprised at the coloration! It is overall more trianae than percivaliana and Jerry said the fragrance is not percivaliana. It is a distinct and nice floral scent with a hint of lemon, unique to his nose.

Latest posts

Back