Cattleya trianaei alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous flowers, Istvan - both good colours, form and size!

With such darn good flowers it can be tempting to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, no need, though, to add an extra 'i' to the species name: trianae!
(Sorry, Istvan, I jusy couldn't help it, my anal retentive pendant took over control completely :rolleyes:)

Gorgeous flowers, Istvan - both good colours, form and size!

With such darn good flowers it can be tempting to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, no need, though, to add an extra 'i' to the species name: trianae!
(Sorry, Istvan, I jusy couldn't help it, my anal retentive pendant took over control completely :rolleyes:)
Actually Istvan is correct. The original true name was trianaei... but was dropped due to popular use of trianae.

This alba has impressive petals but the lip seems narrow, leaving windows between the lateral sepals and labellum. This is common in the thin pseudobulb race like the sangretoros (vs the thicker short bulbous race like AC Burrage).

Actually Istvan is correct. The original true name was trianaei...

How good to hear from expertise quarters. I see that the Chadwicks on their site uses this original name, too. I thought it was kind of a double genitive - but bow my head bashfully to Istvan!

The original true name was trianaei... but was dropped due to popular use of trianae.

I say! I've never pictured botanists as someones to bend to popular opinion, not to speak of to other botanists! 😁

Last edited:
The original true name was trianaei... but was dropped due to popular use of trianae.

I did some digging and may have been in the right even if I was in the wrong: the species is named after the 19th century colombian botanist J.J. Triana. And actually the form trianaei is a double genetive - as if Paph. stonei originally had been named P. stoneiae.

When you know how difficult it is to change the names of plants, due to the rules of botanical nomenclatura (even faulty ones as f.ex. the paphs that are published as album, without them being all white, and where the epithet alboviride or alboflavum descriptively would be more appropriate), I'm quite sure, that the reason for changing the name has nothing to do with popular pressure, but only is a grammatical correction of the wrong, double genitive in latin, so that the name now translates into Triana's Catt. (not Trianae's Catt.) in the same manner as is Stone's Paph. named after the preeminent, victorian orchid enthusiast and painter John Day's gardener, Robert Stone!

To clear the question.Plant is named afterJose Jeronimo Triana.Right name is Cattleya trianae not just in grammatical aspect but this is accepted name by Kew's Botanical Register, too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back